Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm collecting my new Repsol Blade on Saturday - first bike for 18 months (thought an old 911 would give me the same buzz - silly me!). Previous bike was a much loved Mille R with a few upgrades - pipe, Power Commander etc. Bike used mainly for track days and an annual trip to the Isle of Man and hopefully the "Ring" next year.
The bike is being delivered with a "tail tidy" and seat hump and I'll definately replace the indicators (turn signals) and junk the passanger footpegs immediately. What are the "Must Have Mods" that I should consider in the short term - bearing in mind that the "Piggy Bank" is already under severe pressure with the new bike?
I was thinking that I would probably proceed as follows and as the budget allows:

1) New brake lines and probably pads - HH?
2) Change the gearing - 1 down on the front or 2 up on the rear? Will the standard chain stretch to 2 up on the back?
3) Stickier rubber when the OEM tyres wear out.
4) New Ohlins rear shock.
5) New front springs - necessary?
6) Pipe and Power Commander.

I know a few of these are probably not necessary but I love having a bike that's a little bit different

Thoughts and opinions would be very welcome!

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
1) New brake lines and probably pads - HH?

I installed the Galfer lines on mine. Great mod, makes a big difference, didn't cost much. I'm still running the original pads. No issues there.

2) Change the gearing - 1 down on the front or 2 up on the rear? Will the standard chain stretch to 2 up on the back?

I'm 1 down on the front with stock rear and stock chain. The chain will be long enough, you'll just shorten your wheelbase a tiny bit. Oh and the standard chain adjustment calibrations won't be accurate anymore.

3) Stickier rubber when the OEM tyres wear out.

Replaced my stock Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Powers, changed the size in the rear to 180/55. She handles much better now and sticks with tenacity.

4) New Ohlins rear shock.

Good idea if you can spare the cake. A rear spring that's a bit softer wouldn't hurt either... unless you're 100+ kg's

5) New front springs - necessary?

For racers, probably. For your average road rider, probably not.

6) Pipe and Power Commander.

Arata and Sato are favored

I know a few of these are probably not necessary...

Neither is having a 150 horse motorcycle!

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Get ready for: Does it have a bigger engine, what's the difference with the regular one, nothing....... what........ hein......You paid more only for stickers..... :huh:

But they all freaking stop to look at it though. :D

You'll love it man!

And :welcome:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for you.. that bike's pretty tight right out of the box. :thumb:

Welcome to the .org, and post up your IOM pics and stories, please!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Richard, were you with the Irish crew at the Donington/Oulton double header trackday last month? Conor Hickey had someone doing "test rides" on his bike in the Inters.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you are in Ireland get a Akrapovic exhaust and power commander. Rewite your ECU for the extra rev limit too - its great. Frame sliders, flap valve in air box removal, vyper tyres, and then paint it orange - you will be most pleased.

Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts