Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were talking about mustang mods in the thread about Kawboy69's new ride, and I thought I would go on about my son's Stang for a bit...
He is working at a Mustang performance shop now (dream job for the little Ford freak), and finally got a chance to mod his own car. I don't have pics yet, will post them in the next couple days, though.
I got to spend a few hours at the shop Saturday with them while they did some dyno work on it. That thing is awesome! When I was building street rods (in the 70's, yes they did have internal combustion engines, you little bratty kids), our only measure of sucess on a mod was whether or not it would now beat Scotty's Charger! Well, till we got to the strip, which didn't happen much. That Dyno is great, any adjustment nets imediate info, good or bad.
So, after boost and air fuel adjustments, the final numbers went from 367/414 to 395/455. There is a fair amount more to be found, but it will be a process over time, at least on this motor.
Oh, yeah, mods to this point are:
2000 Mustang GT,btw
Helion Turbo kit
some kind of electronic boost control
Twin Magnaflow mufflers at the end of the turbo pipes
Cobra 6 spd trans
Cobra IRS rear
Tube type K member w/coilover shocks frt susp
Probably more I don't remember
Not sure how much power this engine will generate, The stock heads flow ability will probably be the limiting factor. But, he has a 5.4 lightning block on the engine stand waiting for forged rods and 4v heads to be installed :evilaugh: !
Should get REAL interesting!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Posting this without pics is tantamount to asking for a beat down... :welcome:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
If he's running a stock shortblock I would expect he's pretty close to pushing it with those numbers. The huge limiting factor in the 4.6 motor is the fact that it has cast rotating assembly parts. When you get to about 400rwhp on the stocker, you're really pushing the limits, even with a spot on tune. Hellion makes a great kit, I assume he's running their single 62mm? Once he throws that 5.4 in there, hold on for some huge numbers. You can throw gigantic amounts of boost at a built 5.4, even more so a DOHC.

My car is pushing it's limits right now so I need to buy a built shortblock for it and throw some blower cams in it.

EDIT: Figured I'd add some pics. She looks a lot different then when I bought it and posted the first few shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had a mustang for 8 years. Last one was a 95 which I sold last year. I miss it, but I don't miss the traffic tickets. I don't get it really I ride the bike the same or even faster than the Mustang and cops would never pull me over.

I really like the 03 04 Cobras. Just don't like getting pulled over so I'll be sticking with the Titan and my bike.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
It's funny you say that cause the cops don't even look twice when I'm in my car. Sure it's not as fast as my bike, yet, but she will be. I get more comments from them then I ever did on my bike. Just the other day at a light an officer was sitting next to me and heard my blower. Started asking all kinds of questions. If I was on my bike he would have been running my plate and following me after we left the light.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he's running a stock shortblock I would expect he's pretty close to pushing it with those numbers. The huge limiting factor in the 4.6 motor is the fact that it has cast rotating assembly parts. When you get to about 400rwhp on the stocker, you're really pushing the limits, even with a spot on tune. Hellion makes a great kit, I assume he's running their single 62mm? Once he throws that 5.4 in there, hold on for some huge numbers. You can throw gigantic amounts of boost at a built 5.4, even more so a DOHC.

My car is pushing it's limits right now so I need to buy a built shortblock for it and throw some blower cams in it.

EDIT: Figured I'd add some pics. She looks a lot different then when I bought it and posted the first few shots.
:thumb: Nice car Reaper! You are right about the stock engine. Ford motor guy said the bottom end is only reliable to about 475 to 500 crank hp.
The new motor will get all forged internals, should handle MUCHO hp! Crank up the boost, add NOS to cool the intake charge=? Should get crazy!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:down: , I wish I had a camera available during the install! I will take some pics tomorrow, need to put it on a lift to get the exhaust view. Looks like orgy night at the reptile house!
OK, I will get to work on pics, though I do enjoy a good:beatup: !
And a :spank: ,and a :whip: , but that may all be too personal!:O

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
We were talking about mustang mods in the thread about Kawboy69's new ride, and I thought I would go on about my son's Stang for a bit...
He is working at a Mustang performance shop now (dream job for the little Ford freak), and finally got a chance to mod his own car. I don't have pics yet, will post them in the next couple days, though.
I got to spend a few hours at the shop Saturday with them while they did some dyno work on it. That thing is awesome! When I was building street rods (in the 70's, yes they did have internal combustion engines, you little bratty kids), our only measure of sucess on a mod was whether or not it would now beat Scotty's Charger! Well, till we got to the strip, which didn't happen much. That Dyno is great, any adjustment nets imediate info, good or bad.
So, after boost and air fuel adjustments, the final numbers went from 367/414 to 395/455. There is a fair amount more to be found, but it will be a process over time, at least on this motor.
Oh, yeah, mods to this point are:
2000 Mustang GT,btw
Helion Turbo kit
some kind of electronic boost control
Twin Magnaflow mufflers at the end of the turbo pipes
Cobra 6 spd trans
Cobra IRS rear
Tube type K member w/coilover shocks frt susp
Probably more I don't remember
Not sure how much power this engine will generate, The stock heads flow ability will probably be the limiting factor. But, he has a 5.4 lightning block on the engine stand waiting for forged rods and 4v heads to be installed :evilaugh: !
Should get REAL interesting!

It sure sounds like going to get interesting real quick..Thats is a be great feeling to see your kid follow their dreams..

You kill me..:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sweet car..

:down: , I wish I had a camera available during the install! I will take some pics tomorrow, need to put it on a lift to get the exhaust view. Looks like orgy night at the reptile house!
OK, I will get to work on pics, though I do enjoy a good:beatup: !
And a :spank: ,and a :whip: , but that may all be too personal!:O

:thumb: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The 5.4 is ultra heavy, and very tall, but it sure will handle some boost. Personally I wouldn't do it, but if you're a drag guy, you can more than overcome the weight with a couple of PSI...

Nice cars guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't know much about the Mustang as far as performance goes but my mechanic friend really loves the late 80's notchback. He said it was lighter then the hatch and is really easy to work on. He has one he dropped a 351 in with nitrous and some other work. He was pulling mid 10s last time I talked to him but that was almost 2 years ago when I was last home.

Oh man I'm reading my post and I'm living in the past with cars. :rotfl:Nowadays all I care about is that it takes me from A to B, and if I can sleep in the back on cold nights camping all the better. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know much about the Mustang as far as performance goes but my mechanic friend really loves the late 80's notchback. He said it was lighter then the hatch and is really easy to work on. He has one he dropped a 351 in with nitrous and some other work. He was pulling mid 10s last time I talked to him but that was almost 2 years ago when I was last home.

Oh man I'm reading my post and I'm living in the past with cars. :rotfl:Nowadays all I care about is that it takes me from A to B, and if I can sleep in the back on cold nights camping all the better. :)
Yeah, I hear ya! Hey wanna buy a nice Excursion? Plenty of room for the camping! We can discuss fuel economy at some other time. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 5.4 is ultra heavy, and very tall, but it sure will handle some boost. Personally I wouldn't do it, but if you're a drag guy, you can more than overcome the weight with a couple of PSI...

Nice cars guys. :thumb:
Yes the weight/height issue bothers me, too. The car is not supposed to be a drag only weapon. He has some plan to mount it lower in the cradle I think, don't know about that though.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the extra weight and height of the 5.4. Mark Luton, the owner of MMR(Modular Mustang Racing)in Oxnard had a DOHC 5.4 Mustang with a big single turbo(92mm)putting out 1500WHP. That sucker ran 8.07 @176. If it's for the 1/4 mile only, you can't go wrong with the 5.4's. Daily driven I wouldn't do a 5.4 swap though.

My ultimate goal for my car is 450-500whp as a daily driver which is very possible. With my current mods I should be between 360-380whp running crappy AZ 91 octane.

-Tuned by Tim Barth at Modular Powerhouse
-Modular Powerhouse Vortech Mongoose kit with V2 SQ-trim.
-Modular Powerhouse Boost pipe(good for an extra PSI).
-Ford Motorsport 42lb injectors.
-SVT Focus fuel pump.
-NGK plugs.
-Ford Lightning 90mm MAF
-Mac Ceramic coated long tube headers.
-Custom true dual mids w/high flow Catco cats.
-Flowmaster mufflers.
-BBK 75mm throttle body.
-BBK Intake Plenum.
-Upgraded Bosch Bypass valve.

Future mods consist of.
-Methanol injection.
-MMR TKO750 transmission.
-Spec Stage 3 clutch.
-Moser 31 spline axles w/FRPP carrier.
-MMR 4.6 Street Mod 900 shortblock.
-MPH Stage 2 1/2 Heads.
-MPH custom blower cams.

Once I get the shortblock I'll be able to put a smaller pulley on the blower and get it to 13-15 psi. Should put me in the neighborhood of 470whp.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
OK, here are some quick pics!
Hopefully I can get one on a lift to capture the exhaust. Hopefully he will clean the engine up before that, too!

Do you mind if I ask what shop he works for?

Oh my, just noticed he still has the all plastic intake on that motor. I'm very surprised it hasn't failed yet running forced induction. If he plans to keep it that way for a bit he should look into the intake with the aluminum crossover.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you mind if I ask what shop he works for?

Oh my, just noticed he still has the all plastic intake on that motor. I'm very surprised it hasn't failed yet running forced induction. If he plans to keep it that way for a bit he should look into the intake with the aluminum crossover.
Mustang Motorsports in Fort Myers, FL 239-225-7529, ask for Corey.
I will have him get on tonight to talk to you about the mod stuff, if I can get him to that is.

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
OK, here are some quick pics!
Hopefully I can get one on a lift to capture the exhaust. Hopefully he will clean the engine up before that, too!
looking good tell him to wash under the hood of that thing.
the 5.4 was offered frome ford in the cobra r so it must be worth it to swap it out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts