Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
they should make little twins for this. like the aprilia 450 (i know i know not the 550). smooth things out a little bit. i wonder if japanese motocross twins are anywhere in the future or not

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
They have come a long way on these. Sounds like it is officially a go on the racing class. Roland Sands Design has a bunch of them completed now that will be for sale. They also have conversion kits in the works to make low cost conversions to full race ready. 450moto.com

·
Registered
476 Posts
I heard the 4-stroke dirtbike engines were high maintenance.

A while back:
I thought about getting a 4-stroke dirt bike after I swore off two strokes. Then I met a guy who had a 250F of some sort and was complaining that the 4 stroke was even more of a pain than the 2stroke.

I like the idea of a light 450 track bike but, not if its going to be more maintenance than a 2 stroke dirtbike.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The maintenance is much less frequent than on a 2-stroke but it is much more labor intensive and expensive when the time comes. It seems to work out about the same in my opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't get it they can make a 600 inline 4 and even a 650 twin with virtually zero maintenance except oil changes but you can't make a 4 stroke dirtbike engine the same way?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Oil capacity is one reason, and you need to keep in mind these little screamers are pretty much race engines. They are not built to run miles and miles of street work, it's a very different animal to an inline 4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts