Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 23000 on my blade, had it since 4000 miles, I have been pretty hard on it, always let it warm up before beating on it, It has progressed to approximately 2 quarts of oil between oil changes, I keep it full, and have always changed it every 3500 to 4000 miles, always ran royal purple in it, I am wondering if the valve guides are more common or am I going to have to drop this engine out and re ring it. Just trying to get some opinions before I proceed.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have 23000 on my blade, had it since 4000 miles, I have been pretty hard on it, always let it warm up before beating on it, It has progressed to approximately 2 quarts of oil between oil changes, I keep it full, and have always changed it every 3500 to 4000 miles, always ran royal purple in it, I am wondering if the valve guides are more common or am I going to have to drop this engine out and re ring it. Just trying to get some opinions before I proceed.
Have somebody follow you for a while when you're riding fairly hard. Closing the throttle from high revs should blow smoke as the engine sucks oil through the valve guide seals. If it's blowing smoke when you get on the throttle out of the turns then it's more likely the rings.
A compression test will also confirm if the rings are worn.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Cylinder leakage test will be better IMO. It will rather show which way the air is going out (rings or valves).
A compression test should always include a leakdown test but neither will diagnose bad valve guides or seals as they only leak while the valves are open (no compression but lots of suction on the induction stroke).
You can determine if it's rings or valves with a wet test after the dry test - simply by pouring a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder and re-doing the compression test. If it doesn't change significantly then it's a valve. If it does, then the rings are leaking and the oil is sealing them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet if I do a leakdown test and the cylinders do hold up good, it does say the valve guides have a problem, if the cylinders do leak then the head goes out anyways cause it is off and needs to be ported a lil and polished a lot

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yet if I do a leakdown test and the cylinders do hold up good, it does say the valve guides have a problem, if the cylinders do leak then the head goes out anyways cause it is off and needs to be ported a lil and polished a lot
To replace the rings you need to strip the entire motor - transmission, crank and head to get the pistons out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts