Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, first post here. I've been a member for a little while, but I mostly skimmed below the radar picking up little bits of info. I purchaced my 02 954 a year ago and I have not been disappointed ever since. The 954 is an AWSOME BIKE!!!! :freebird: I have pretty much customized my baby the way I want her, but I always seem to find something else to do. Here is a list of what I have done and a few pictures.

Purchaced bike with 02 silver/black color scheme

Mods already on bike:
partically polished stock rims
MIG undertail exhaust (looks sweet! don't care if it increases only 5hp)
dark chrome windscreen

Mods added:
frame sliders
complete set 03' red/black fairings and tank
StompGrip tank grips
short stalk LED front turn signals
integrated tail light/turn signals
15t front sprocket
44t rear sprocket
speedo healer
flapper mod
carbon fiber heal guards
Ohlins steering damper
RC-51 SP1 Rear wheel (partially polished)

Let me know what you think.

Also, does anyone know of anyone actually swapping a 954/929 front wheel with a RC-51 SP1/SP2 front? I would like some definate proof is works before I get the front done.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice bike, I love the look of the undertail exhaust, but I also like having the trunk, so I went with a high pipe 3/4 system:welcome:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great looking bike ! I like the undertail exhaust too (although I have Sato full ex) but I dont like how it has soo many bends, why not smooth, so it flows better like Ducs or newer undertail motos.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Also, does anyone know of anyone actually swapping a 954/929 front wheel with a RC-51 SP1/SP2 front? I would like some definate proof is works before I get the front done.
Yup.

I’m living proof that it can be done. I have ’02 954 forks on my 900RR, but hated the 3 spoke wheel from the 954 (no offense, JMHO!). I fitted a 2001 SP1 front wheel to my bike because it is a six spoke that matched the 900RR rear wheel (same spoke shape too). I didn’t want the SP2 because that is a 5 spoke ‘flat’ design that wouldn’t have matched.

You’ll need to use the larger 929/954 bearings and the center collar (25mm axle). The RC51 bearings and collar won't work as they are a 20mm axle diameter. You’ll need to take a Dremel tool (with either carbide bit or grinding wheel) and open out the hub on one side (just a little) to get the 954 collar to fit. Also, I had to file down the height of the 954 collar just a little too because it sat proud of where the bearing would have sat flush with the seat.You may not have to do this.

When I bolted my wheel up, for some strange reason, the wheel sat to the right by about 1.5mm (so it put off the relationship of the rotor to caliper). I had to get new spacers manufactured. You may not need to - it just may have been unique in my situation for some reason. I know of another guy that did the same swap and he didn't report any oddity with the spacers!

It may pay you to buy a new wheel, because the SP1 wheels aren’t the easiest to find. Besides, a new wheel will be free from scratches, and it absolutely won’t have any damage. That’s (obviously) important. If you buy a used wheel, they usually sell for about $200-275, and you can get a new wheel for just over $400. It's definitely worth the small premium for new in my opinion - the front wheel is so important on a bike. The cheapest place (that happens to have great service) is www.zanottimotor.com. You can get the parts you need there.

Cheers,
Simon

PS. Nice bike!

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Where did you get the MIG undertail exhaust? Was it a custom system? Looks very nice! :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the input!! I really appreciate the info on the front rim Simon. EXACTLY what I was looking for. I agree with you, the SP1 wheels just look better. Work load is within my limits, so I think I am going to switch the front when I find a rim. I'm going to prob go with a used rim to save on cost. Going to partially polish the rim to match the rear anyway. Front looks really good Simon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Red Rider, I was lucky enough to find a 954 with the MIG undertail exhaist already put on. I looked into it and found out that MIG went out of business a while ago. You probably already know about that though. E-bay is most likely the best bet in finding one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sho is purty... hey, did u polish those rims urself or did u have to have them done? It u did it urself, how do u do it? thx.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts