Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. bike is fine will shifting threw other gears, except 2nd kicks out EVERY time.... Anyone know why this is?? any help please...

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
hello. bike is fine will shifting threw other gears, except 2nd kicks out EVERY time.... Anyone know why this is?? any help please...
The dogs on second gear are worn.
You should be able to skip past second with no trouble until you're ready to pull the engine out. Since it does it all the time it's likely the shift fork is also bent from trying to force it to stay in so be sure to check those as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The dogs on second gear are worn.
You should be able to skip past second with no trouble until you're ready to pull the engine out. Since it does it all the time it's likely the shift fork is also bent from trying to force it to stay in so be sure to check those as well.

+1 on that diagnosis

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses.

if i bought a transmission with the drum, gears, forks, bearing and installed that woud that work??? i found one in good condition for $150 on ebay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thanks for the responses.

if i bought a transmission with the drum, gears, forks, bearing and installed that woud that work??? i found one in good condition for $150 on ebay.
if the transmission is good along with the gears,forks etc. and assuming you know what your doin then yes

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
No need for the gears or drum. I'd advise against used transmission parts other than those ones, too.
Gears?
If the dogs are rounded off second gear you will need it and probably the one next to it.
I agree, not worth buying secondhand if second gear is the problem. It's the first one to wear in all sportsbike transmissions. Here bikes over 250cc generally aren't ridden by inexperience riders due to our licencing laws so boxes aren't such a problem. It's that first few years of somebody learning to shift gears that ruins them.
I'd recommend pulling it out first, inspect and measure everything and just replace the damaged parts with new. Also inspect the countershaft spline.
The gears are around US$70 each and the forks around US$50 each.
2003 Honda CBR954RR OEM Parts, 2003 Honda CBR954RR OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Honda 2003 CBR900RR TRANSMISSION

·
Registered
176 Posts
My tranny did the same thing last summer, only 4th gear would not hold. Once I did the tear down and inspected things, I found I had a bent shift fork and the dawgs were only slightly wore. I may have got away with just changing out the bent fork, but since everything was out, I dropped in a 929 tranny and called it a day. I have my left over 954 tranny I have been trying to sell. You could use all the 2nd gear stuff to put yours back together. $75 plus shipping and it is yours.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did this last winter, the 2nd gear was popping out and it looked like crap once I pulled the tranny. Replaced in total 3 gears and a fork with new, I think it was worth it. those gears, specially the 2nd, are rarely in "good condition" on used trannies even if the eBay sellers say so :/ Its not everyday one splits the engine, might as well pay a little extra for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
true... well i will probably tear down the engine and find out... :eek:
Hopefully nothing toooo major. i bought it like this... but gotta fix her back up!!

AND

How hard was it to get the transmission out? i know a thing or two abot bikes. good with tools, but would like some input...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
How hard was it to get the transmission out? i know a thing or two about bikes. good with tools, but would like some input...
Search, as a few guys have posted threads about doing theirs themselves.
Basically you pull the engine, strip the covers off, flip it over and pull the bottom half of the crankcase off.
I suggest that to remove the clutch you loosen the clutch hub nut before you pull the engine by putting it in gear and standing on the rear brake.
You will probably want a workshop manual so you can identify damaged and/or worn parts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It isn't hard if you've already got some mechanical inclination like you said. Read and re-read the procedure in the manual. I can't remember on the 54 (been a while since I did one) but hold tranny shafts level or end caps/needle bearings will fall off. Measure the "foot" of each shift fork for thickness and compare to manual. Check drum grooves for nicks or worn edges. The edges should be sharp. While it's down, check main bearings in lower half for wear patterns or any other abnormalities. When you're ready to install lower half, make a couple of dry runs (no Hondabond) to make sure it seats with upper half easily. If forks are lined up, it should go right on without you having to use excessive pressure. Then you can apply the hondabond. Run a VERY small bead around sealing surface (about 1/32"). That stuff spreads out alot when you torque case half down and any that gets inside motor will always end up in oil pickup strainer (not a good thing). If you plan on keeping the bike, I would highly recommend having your tranny undercut. If you ride hard, it will help it last alot longer. Those dogs just barely engage the windows and it doesn't take much abuse for the tips to wear and start slipping out again. Some places can repair your gears and then undercut them. It doesn't cost much more than replacing dog and window gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts