Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to avoid the notorious charging issues......that is until now (I think). Ill give the whole story in case of the info helps. Could smell something burning this morning while the bike was warming up...checked a few things but it went away, figured something might have been on the headers.... rode all day...4+ hours. Stopped half a dozen times for water...whatev, bike started like normal every time. Then got into town and got stuck in traffic for a half hour (president was in Maine today)....fan ran alot and I was bairly creeping basically idling the whole time. Then the bike starts real hard...like the batt was dead, then like an idiot I shut the bike off to see if it does it again...now it wont even crank over. hmmmmm. Jump start the bike and off I go....nope! Now im stuck in traffic again and the bike doesnt want to run anymore...stuck in traffic so the fans on....not helping my charging issue, so the batt never has a chance to catch up (thats if it was just a drained batter). So I limp the bike to a local Napa, gauges cutting out....spitting and sputtering the whole way. With no tools to check if its charging I have Napa charge my battery (off the bike). With a charged battery I could at least make it home (45 mins away). Its now dark out and Im riding home...bike running normal. My lights (gauge and headlight) are flashing...not on and off but really bright-then kinda dim....really bright-then kinda dim...and it seems to be in a perfect sequence...bright...dim...bright...dim...bright...dim....you get the idea.

So......stator? rectifier? just a low batt?? why the flashing?? Im gonig to search other post to read up on this notorious issue...and Ill test the voltage to see if im below 12 at the battery and if its charging.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just went out and tested the voltage...12.32 at idle....then when I start it it drops to .4... hahaha .4 as in less that 1 volt...goes up to .6 if I rev it hard. also....stator cover....is HOT cant even keep my hand on it for more than 2 seconds even when the motor temp is 160 degrees F. So...any need to go further or replace the stator?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I replaced the connector with three bullet crimps.

bullet crimps : Maplin Electronics

I thought the problem was fixed (until it wouldn't start again :confused:) but it had damaged the R/R also which I have just replaced :thumb:

Fingers crossed that's it now .......... although I'm buying a new BMW S1000RR.

I haven't had a new bike in over 15 years, since I bought my 93 CBR 900RR (the one that had the regulator/rectifier problem) which I'm intending to keep as we've been through a lot together :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.