Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 yamaha fzr 600 frame with a 97 yzf 600 engine. I had it out the shop for several months now and it has rode great. Today i started noticing some problems. I went to accelerate and i could feel and hear a knocking . It only happens when i accelerate over a certain rpm and happens in every gear. I (think) it could be my sprockets or chain or possibly both. I took off the clutch cover and noticed ALOT of metal flakes. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
552 Posts
it could be your chain and sprockets but there could also be a problem with your clutch, or trans. check you chain for binding and see if it is to tight and inspect your sprockets for wear. if you have a removable masterlink remove it and run the bike without it to see if you get any noise from the engine, or trans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i took off the chain and looked at the back sprocket and there was massive wear. I probably had over half of the teeth wore down. What could be causing that?

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Well if your sprocket is the original from 1996 that could be 1 answer..... My first road bike was a 1992 fzr 600 with the single headlight, great times on that bike.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I don't know your mileage so that could be it but given the statement about metal flakes I think your chain was to tight. Remember that as the suspension compresses the chain will tighten. So be sure to leave slack in the chain. If I remember right Honda recommends a 1" to 1.25" of play with the rear wheel on the ground. Also it is best to replace sprockets and chain together or a worn chain will wear a sprocket (or the reverse).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the mileage on the engine is about 23k but since iput it on that frame it is about 1k miles. the back sprocket is from the old frame and i guess front is with the yzf. I am going to replace all 3 front and back sprocket and chain. Also with the wearing could that possibly be from under greased? I can lift my chain while its on so it has a little play with it its not real tight. Also when i buy new sprockets how should i do it say if i buy a 525 back sprocket do i need a 525 front sprocket?

·
Registered
434 Posts
the back sprocket is from the old frame and i guess front is with the yzf.
I would say this is the main cause of your problem. The front and rear sprockets being from different bikes means that each sprocket has a different wear pattern. So everytime the chain goes around the front sprocket it tries to take the shape of the front sprocket. Then when it gets to the back sprocket it tries to take the shape of the rear sprocket. So the rollers on the chain are being bent and ground down between the two sprockets. As a result the rollers will no longer be able to move freely and this will cause the chain to bind when it tries to go around the sprockets. This can make the knocking noise that you are hearing.

Once you get your new chain and sprockets on the bike clean and lube them every 300-600 miles and keep the chain slack around 35mm and it should last you for thousands of miles.:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts