Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving work a couple days ago and noticed my clutch felt funny. I shut it down and poked around a bit. I realized that the rod that moves the clutch plates snapped. I'm talking about the piece that the clutch cable connects to the top of, with most of the rod inside the crank case. I was able to pull it right out, the problem is that a jagged metal piece is inside my crank case, and was rolling around for a few seconds before I shut the bike off.

I got a new part, drained the engine oil, and removed all bolts connecting the crank case. I can't get the damned cover off. I've tried the hammer method already. I'm about to pry it off with a crowbar but I don't want to damage the edge. Any ideas?

I attached new and broken lever pics

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think there are a couple of dail pins on that cover. I think one is to the left of the fill cap and the other is on the far right end, between the upper and lower bolt. Try tapping around those and then use the tabs on the case pop the cover off. Becareful not to damage the cover or case (no crowbar). Goodluck.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I think there was possibly a recall on this part. I recall that the shaft was hollow and prone to failure like yours and they were replaced with a solid shaft. I could be mistaken though...

I'm sure someone here will tell you how to get the cover off.

Good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"On certain motorcycles, when the clutch lever is released to the friction point, but the lever is not completely released to fully engage the clutch, strong clutch disk vibration could occur at the higher engine rpms used for rapid or race-type starts. This stress can cause the clutch to fail. This failure results in several large sections cracking and eventually separating from the clutch. If this occurs, rear lock-up is possible if a broken piece is caught in the primary drive gear. The engine could lose primary ignition and stop suddenly if a broken piece damages the pulsar rotor. Also, engine oil can leak from the crankcase if a broken piece is forced through the crankcase. The spilled oil could cause the rear wheel to lose traction and the motorcycle could crash.

8,696 motorcycles are affected by this recall.

Dealers will install a clutch kit that includes a redesigned outer clutch basket, spring, clutch lifter lever, and other parts intended to reduce stress on the clutch."

Mine seemed to stop working while idling around a parking lot. I'm not sure if it's the same problem. I'll have to check for the markings to see if the recall work was done.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a lot of jiggling and some very gentle prying, I got the cover off. One of the pins was stuck. The distributor[?] (pulse generator rotor) didn't need to be removed.

Luckily the broken clutch shaft piece was still inside the case, and hadn't falled down into the oil pan. I can't get the crankcase back on with the new shaft installed, though. I probably need to spin the lever while putting the case on. Too frusterated now, going to do it later...

You're right Red Ryder, the original shaft was hollow and the replacement is solid. I only have one of the two recall 'dots', so maybe this was one of the recalled parts.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I had to do a similar repair on a mates 929.

His clutch just failed as you mentioned yours did.
The cover was tight to get off, but tapping it in svereal areas with a soft face hammer got it off with no damage.
You did not need to drop the oil, if the bike was left on the side stand, no oil would be lost.
Make sure you use sealer around the case cover when you put it back together.
If it's any consolation, the new shaft is actually a more solid item

·
Registered
799 Posts
brian48130 said:
You're right Red Ryder, the original shaft was hollow and the replacement is solid. I only have one of the two recall 'dots', so maybe this was one of the recalled parts.
Better check to make sure the clutch recall was done then, that shaft was only one of a few parts replaced.

·
Registered
799 Posts
From the Recall notice:

"Dealers will install a clutch kit that includes a redesigned outer clutch basket, spring, clutch lifter lever, and other parts intended to reduce stress on the clutch"

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sirkbac said:
From the Recall notice:

"Dealers will install a clutch kit that includes a redesigned outer clutch basket, spring, clutch lifter lever, and other parts intended to reduce stress on the clutch"
:thumb: thanks for the info

maybe he should get the clutch basket checked to see if it has been replaced under the recall programme

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I'm completely stumped. I just spend 45min jiggling things around trying to get the crankcase back on. Basically, the case will only go on if the lever is in the right position (where the knob of clutch lifter pin slides inside the notch of the shaft), otherwise the lifter pin sticks out too much and the case won't fit. If you put the case on with the pin in this position, then the shaft won't engage the pin. Clockwise, nothing. Counter-clockwise, case pops off.

Ratter, did you use the new solid lever/shaft with the original (recall work not done) clutch? I wonder if the new piece only works with the recall-replacement set. It does have a slightly different shape.

Finally some nice weather and both of my bikes are out of order. :rant:

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I had to move the lever back past it's final resting place to get the lever to slide over the clutch button and it would turn slightly as the cover was pushed into place.
Not sure if hte recall had been done on the bike (mate got it second hand) but both parts appeared the same dimensions, just the new one was solid.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been trying to rotate it while putting the cover on, I guess I'll just have to keep trying. Thanks Ratter.

My VFR seems to have a weak battery. I have to trickle charge it every few days. Time for a new one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How does the clutch operate? I just ordered a repair manual, but it won't be here for a week.

It looks like when the lift lever turns, it pulls the pin in the center out, which disengages the clutch plates. Well, I can't pull that pin out at all. I'm starting to think maybe something broke inside, and locked up the plates, snapping the lever when I tried to disengage it. I'm about to take the clutch basket apart but I'm not sure how easy it is to put back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Your idea of the clutch's functional operation is correct. Why are you trying to pull the center engaging pin out? If you need or want to remove it, you have to disassemble the clutch pack (6 bolts), pull the cover off and then you can take it out. Not a big deal, just remember that the first clutch plate notch is skewed (in comparison to the rest) - pay attention to placement when you pull the cover (in case the disk comes out also).

Im guessing you bought the clutch upgrade parts (versus letting Honda foot the bill for the SB). :confused:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts