Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my slow butt at the track! Heh heh heh, I really need to learn how to ride better. :p I did improve from a 2:22 in the morning to a 2:08 on my last run. Man, trackdays are addicting! :thumb:

Rick

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gotten a knee down twice. Once on my highside and once on my lowside, I'm getting quite good at crashing. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm working on corner speed and braking later. I have quite a few issues with my track riding that I'm trying to clear up. It gives me an excuse to goto more trackdays!!! :p

Rick

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's not what I had in mind :(

Glad to see you're back on the seat.

I must do a track day this year.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
K9inAZ said:
Here's my slow butt at the track! Heh heh heh, I really need to learn how to ride better. :p I did improve from a 2:22 in the morning to a 2:08 on my last run. Man, trackdays are addicting! :thumb:
Rick
What I see is typical new track rider mistakes. sitting 'up' on the bike with 'elbows locked'. Loosen up so there is ZERO weight on your hands and drop your chest down a bit. Also don't be afraid to....and this I have said 10 billion times to people.....get your ass OFF the seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

Let the bikes suspension work, don't let your body/arms become a steering damper, it just makes the bike wobble. Not getting off the seat just makes you crash. :thumb:

·
Registered
270 Posts
CBRbob:

Do yo think a new track rider should worry about getting his ass off the seat or concentrate on lines an smoothness?

I often see people hang their asses off the seats right away and have problems with it. They'll keep their bodies over the handlebars and have their ass hanging or they'll get so worries about scooting around that they'll blow their lines.

I think it's a case by case basis. I'd rather see soemone relax on the bike. As yo said, unload the wrists, bring the head down, cuve the spine donw instead of up, than worry about where their ass is.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Rick,

Lookin good man. I really need to hit the track as well. I have been getting pointers from local guys as well as a few board members that I ride with all the time. I used to ride just like you in those pics. I sat too close to the tank which didn't allow me to get my ass off the seat. I took the advice of two of my friends and moved further back and bent my arms a bit more and it makes a big difference. Feels different at first but you get used to it quickly. So did yo use your new tires and if so, how did you like them? When is the next track day at AMP? I really want to try the track.

Dano

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Is that a dark smoke double bubble? I have a smoke double bubble (but I use a clear double bubble for track days) but that picture makes it out as if you can't even see out of it! Nice pics, it's all good if you're having fun. While others are throwing around tips, one thing that really helped me was the tip of pressuring the footpegs. Applying pressure to the outside footpeg helps stabilize/straighten the bike during hard inside turns. I found this helped me as I used to continously have to steer/re-steer going through corners to adjust the bike's position, where applying pressure to the outside peg helped tremendously in keeping the angle, straightening the bike so I could lean off more. Just my 2 cents, from a rookie :D

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
Hanging off takes some getting used to and will probably become more necessary the faster you get. A good illustration Pridmore uses is to think of the gas cap as an axis. Just rotate your body around that axis. Move yourself around with your lower body rather than your arms. Keeps unwanted inputs down.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
eeeeek said:
Do yo think a new track rider should worry about getting his ass off the seat or concentrate on lines an smoothness?
I often see people hang their asses off the seats right away and have problems with it. They'll keep their bodies over the handlebars and have their ass hanging or they'll get so worries about scooting around that they'll blow their lines. I think it's a case by case basis. I'd rather see soemone relax on the bike. As yo said, unload the wrists, bring the head down, cuve the spine donw instead of up, than worry about where their ass is.
I know exactly what you mean. But what I see here is zero body movement. I have told hundreds of people to get off the seat and the next time out, they move 2 inches over. Thats fine, its a start. We all know if you dont move around a little bit you will have to lean the bike excessively to make a turn at a given speed where if you moved over 6 inches (REALLY not that much) it helps make the bike move. Body movement at speed is part of smooth riding. You don't have to be off so far your elbows drag, but it needs to be done at the track.

·
Registered
304 Posts
In that second picture it looks like he was at least on the side of the seat. Looking good K9, practice makes perfect.

Take the tips in stride, don't push beyond your limits. Just try and get your upper body down a little bit, and get a clear double bouble for the track. You do that and I promise you'll drop your times. Tuck in the straights, and pop up and hang a knee out during braking, remember the drag of the wind is both your friend and enemy. And if you like the track as much as I do, the best thing you can buy is either a 600RR, SV, or just some better forks and shock. If you haven't ridden a bike with Ohlins all around, it is really a confidence booster. Stick with it, it only gets better.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll try them out at the next trackday. I'm trying to sit away from the tank, but old habits are hard to break. I'll work on it. :p I've been looking at video and picture of myself at te track and noticed alot of little things I need to do. Yeah, I have a dark smoke BD, but you can see through it, even with my smoke sheild on my helmet. The sun is very bright here in Arizona.

Oh yeah, I have reworked front forks and an Ohlins rear. Kind of a waste with my riding ability, but I'm hoping to grow into them! :smilebig:

Once again thanks for the critique on my form. Please feel free to give me any and all comments. I need all the help I can get.

ReaperAZ - The next full trackday is Sunday, Feb 29. I'm going to try to make it out to that one also. I really loved the Diablo Corsas on the track! Not a single issue with them at all. They were very stable and stuck like glue to the track.

HondaGal - I can't make it out to Gratten. 2000 mile trip one way for the kid and I can't take that much time off of work.

Rick

·
Registered
737 Posts
Looking good Brother! I too was non-moving at my first track day. It took some confidence in myself and the bike to start hanging off a bit. I still don't hang off that much. During my kast dry outing I was sliding my knee around pretty much at will. I've prolly lost all that though cause of the winter. :crying:

:thumb:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
K9, to me it appears that you behaved perfectly for a first time track day (this coming from someone who has never done one). I.e., you didn't aspire for too much too soon, and end up with a lot of messed up plastics. I can imagine that it would be too easy to go out the first time and overdo things, from a competitive standpoint. Hmm, hasn't this in fact happened to someone or sometwo on the .org? Good job! :clap:

·
Registered
77 Posts
K9,
I found myself doing the same thing on my first track day.
I would move my ass over, but keep my upper body on top of the bike.
To help myself move more, I tried to put my face where my mirrors would be.
This resulted in much smoother and faster laps.

As far as track days and trying to improve your times go -
Go fast where you can go fast.
In other words don't try to haul ass where you have to slow down.
You'll just fuck everything up.

Have fun!
A good friend of mine calls track days a heroin addiction for people who don't like needles.
I'd say he's pretty close to the mark on that. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts