Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I went out for a ride this morning about 50 miles each way. After the first 30 miles the speedo just started reading 0. Then we got to the cafe and had breakfast etc and started to head back, after about 30 miles again the bike became hesitant and cut out. I rolled to a stop( I had tried bumping it while slowing down but it didn't want to know). After stopping I tried the starter button and nothing. I am guessing I need an alternator and a regulator. Luckly I went to the Isle of Man on Wednesday to watch the TT and if I had gone on the bike I wouldn't have even made the distance to the ferry port so I suppose it could have been worse.

Got a mate to come in his van to come and get me and the bike home. Just hope it aint wiped the speedo out too.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Re: My Fireblade 1994 Now With Problems

Right just been and started on the bike. I was going to get the meter on the battery to see what was happening when running as I had the battery on charge but when I removed the seat I was greeted with this.

Now clearly there are some wires that have been really hot and melted the plug and the wiring has broken right off. Also the speedo wires were just above this plug hence why the speedo had stopped working. I am lucky the damage isn't worse really and I suppose I could have lost the bike altogether.
I seperated the speedo wires and spun the back wheel with the ignition on and the speedo seems to be ok as I managed 3mph which is probably the fastest it going to be going for the next few weeks.

Here is a close up of the burnt plug that turns out to be the 3 wires that go from the alternator to the regulator.

I then turned to the regulator to see if there were any signs of heat but it appears not.

Finally I cut the bad out of the wiring that left me with 3 yellow wires either side of the now removed burnt area. Does it matter which yellow wire goes to which? I don't have a manual? I have no way of telling which wire went where and if it does matter why would Honda use the same colours?

So that is as far as I got, tomorrow I will remove the alternator so I can have a look at getting the correct part to replace it but as the regulator seems unburnt I am undecided weather to change it? I am leaning towards changing both but would be interested to hear what those in the know think?

I am working in the shed which is a bit tight really but the garage is full of broken car projects so I have no choice but I have got it in the shed on a paddock stand where I can just get round it.

· President: Team Full Chat
8,389 Posts
Honda has a repair kit for that connector. It's called the ACG kit (Alternating Current Generator). Typical failure for the CBR's. It doesn't matter which yellow goes to which yellow. Glad it smoked that connector and not the reg rec. Good pics for reference too.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
that bike totally makes me wanna....

STOP!... HAMMER TIME!!

Go with the funk, it is said
That if you can't groove to this then you probably are dead
So wave your hands in the air
Bust a few moves, fun your fingers through your hair
This is it, for a winner
Dance to this and you're gonna get thinner
Move, slide your rump
Just for a minute let's all do the bump, bump, bump

Yeah... (You can't touch this)
Look, man (You can't touch this)
You better get hype, boy, because you know (You can't touch this)
Ring the bell, school's back in (You can't touch this)

its loud n i dont think id change a thing on it!
n ill confirm the wires dont matter which is hooked up to which, my buddies gsxr750 did basicly the same thing just the other day n it matters not on that bike either....

· Registered
3,033 Posts
Oh no bit of burning gone on there! Typical fault as Ian says. Reason the wire locations dont matter is because these carry the charge of the stator (alternator) to the rec, they use three wires to stop it getting to hot and melting rather than one large wire.. whoops didnt work.. On the later bikes these wires are a thicker gauge to stop to much heat being generated.

Noticed this on my RR4 engine swap when I extended the Rec wiring.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for confirming the yellow wires are all the same.
I have this evening removed the alternator to measure it to see if this is the correct one.
NEW GENERATOR STATOR ALTERNATOR - Honda, CBR900RR, Fireblade, CBR1100 XX - G52 | eBay
Now the 3 measurements they give in the discription nearly all match.
Outside

Inside

The thickness in the hole I measure at 25mm where the listing says 24mm. I have emailed them to see what they say. I cannot get the micometer in the hole to check it as well as I would like and have use a good old skool steel rule instead.
Have a couple more pics I took as it might help someone one day.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well my parts that I ordered arrived today. I have an alternator, gasket and wiring plug.

So I set about fitting them.

I was lucky that I didn't need to extend any wires as the alternator kit wiring comes a little longer than the previous one so all I had to do was fit the plug after cutting off the bad wire.

I have run it up and am getting 14.5v at the battery when running on tickover and upto 3000rpm. I couldn't really go any more as it was getting late. That seems ok to me so my regulator seems to have survived.
I have 12.6v when the engine is off and the same measurment on the red wire of the regulator so hopefully all is good.
Will get the bodywork back on and road test it at the weekend.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
the numbers you get voltage wise are what your looking for so you should be good to go!!! that is one clean bike yo! i mean what do you do to keep the nooks n crannies on the calipers so spotless? my bike is an 03 with just at 10,000 miles(or 16,000km) n i dont think its as clean as yours! whats your secret? n i dont remember if i said this before but i am sooooo jealous you got to go to the TT!! thats gotta be about the coolest sporting event on earth. sometimes when im out on some of our kick-ass roads where i live i pretend im in riding in the TT!!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Thanks.
For around 15 years I have taken part in concours events showing cars, I carn't help myself when it comes to cleaning my bike and car. If you keep on top of them they are quite easy to keep like new. I clean it after every ride which I only really go to 1 place on it and thats the cafe on Sunday morning weather permitting, the ride is around 100 miles in total.
I use Autoglym Super Resin polish on the paint and shiney stuff, for everything else its baby wipes (I use Johnsons). A quick wipe of caliper or anything else that is normally overlooked every 100 miles of dry weather ridding will keep things looking mint.

I realize that most bikes have alot more use than mine does and if I used it regular in all weather I am sure it would soon deteriorate.

As for the TT it is something I have wanted to do for some time, when I brought my first Blade back in 2002 we were going to go but we had a foot and mouth outbreak so that finished the idea and it has taken 12 years to actually get there. Now I have been I think it may be an annual thing. We jumped on a plane from Birmingham to the Isle of Man and it is only a 40 min flight and then a 40 min bus ride to the pits. Somehow it felt like cheating not going on the bike but it is difficult to get to the island and find accomodation on TT week due to the volume of people that want to go so we will book earlier for next year so we can hopefully get a few days there and then I can ride the course on my bike which would be epic. I am still amazed by how close you are to the action and how close you can get to the pits. I go to Silverstone every year for the MotoGP and you are that far away in comparison you need binoculars.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
yeah i understand the amount of time and effort these guys put into learning the course n the time they spend on the bikes they ride but even watching it on a screen im blown away by the level of asphalt warrior in these guys. just amazing. every time i think im riding fast i think about the things those guys pull off n realize im at about a 6 n they are pushin 11!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Well my bike is due its annual MOT in 2 weeks so as the rear tyre keeps going down and to be fair both tyres are near the end of there life I thought I would get a new pair of matching tyres. Odd tyres as they are at the min are a pet hate of mine, even if you need one changing why not get one to match the other? Maybe it's me?
Any way I have removed the wheels.

Got the discs and sprocket off the wheels.

I have dropped them off at my brothers as he is going to get the new rubber put on for me while I am at work so I can refit and go out on it at the weekend.

I can also address Ian's dislike at the direction of my front discs when I reassemble it.

I am going to try a pair of these
Maxxis Supermaxx Diamond MA3DS 120/70-17 180/55-17 ZR motorcycle tyre pair | eBay

Any thoughts on them? Anyone used them?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well my brother got my tyres knocked on for me today so I have just re-assembled it.

Better Ian?

I really like the tread pattern.

MOT next. I will get it booked in on Monday. I carn't see any problem in getting it passed.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Cheers Kevin I will update with how they are on the road when I get chance to go out on it. Life has been getting in the way the last couple of weeks and the next couple of weeks don't seem to have any bike time in them either.

On the plus side I talked my brother into taking it for an MOT for me while I was at work yesterday, I am happy to report it passed after the tester had changed the front brake light switch. Funny how that was my only problem last year and again the tester supplied and fitted it. Poor quailty parts that don't even last 12 months.

Here is a pic with my road legal exhaust fitted which is really quite compared to the usual one.

Also a pic with my other wheels. Going out to a show in this on Sunday so no bikes this week.

· President: Team Full Chat
8,389 Posts
Well my brother got my tyres knocked on for me today so I have just re-assembled it.

Better Ian?

I really like the tread pattern.

MOT next. I will get it booked in on Monday. I carn't see any problem in getting it passed.

:rotfl: I don't know how I missed this post, but heck yeah! Well done, looks very nice. Looks proper. And the tires look trick too, very cool tread pattern. :thumb: Bike is looking sharp and congrats on the MOT!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts