Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of the bolts are stuck. I rounded off one of bolt with my hex wrench. It's a big pain especially since they are the ones closest to the forks, right below the dust seals.

I was thinking of dremeling some flate edges on the head so I use pliers on them. I know it can be drilled out, but I don't want to go out and buy some bits that I'm only going to use once. Anyone have a better idea?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Can you get needle-noses on the back side of the bolt? I think they only thread into a thin little bracket.

Sounds like you need some metric allen wrenches :evilaugh:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, buy some drill bits. You'll use them more than once.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spray some WD-40 from behind with the hose extension, let it sit for a few mins and try again....

Drill bits come with the dremel too.:D

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
If you're willing to use a Dremel, grind a deep slot in them and use a flathead screwdriver to back them out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
kinkeringkong said:
Two of the bolts are stuck. I rounded off one of bolt with my hex wrench. It's a big pain especially since they are the ones closest to the forks, right below the dust seals.
Kinkeringkong, I assume it's the allen headed bolts in the fische below (#7 and/or 8). I have found that these are not very high quality steel and tend to round off easily. And they do seem to get very tight, mine always undo with a loud "crack" when they finally give way.
Your best bet may be BDA116's suggestion of the "easy-out" kit from Sears.
And, when you do get them out buy a set of quality allen wrenches, not those cheap Korean/China things that are soft and round easily. And also buy some "spare" replacement bolts so that you can replace them at the first sign of "wear".
Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ange said:
Spray some WD-40 from behind with the hose extension, let it sit for a few mins and try again....

Drill bits come with the dremel too.:D
Yes, my dremel did come w/ bits. Stupid me. Believe it or not, I've only used my dremel 2 times and I've had it for 2 years. Once to cut the bungee hooks off my old gixxer and another time when I was sanding down/cutting the rear to install an undertail. I forgot all about the drill bits.

I also tried the WD-40 and it did't work.

allred said:
Kinkeringkong, I assume it's the allen headed bolts in the fische below (#7 and/or 8)
It's the #7's. I also round the edges on the wrench a little.

BDA116 said:
Do yourself a huge favor and add to your toolbox. These are worth their weight in gold: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...s+Under+%24+25
They have larger sets as well, but just those three little gems will save you hours of headache.
I don't know. How often do you use it? Anyways, this will be my last resort.

Red Rider said:
If you're willing to use a Dremel, grind a deep slot in them and use a flathead screwdriver to back them out.
Good idea, I'm going to try this first. It's hard to use pliers in that area.

phobiaphobe said:
Sounds like you need some metric allen wrenches :evilaugh:
:lmao: :twofing: :stfu: :D

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
kinkeringkong said:
I don't know. How often do you use it? Anyways, this will be my last resort.
I've used them and their bolt-out cousins quite a bit between cars, bikes and ATVs. They take the screw/bolt right out with no problems and cost $20 for that set. Isn't your time worth that, or would you rather kick around at it for a couple days?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts