Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from three days of the best riding I've ever had. Rode hwy 36 from lassen to the coast and home by way of the andersen valley. The roads were fantastic, clean smooth and well maintained. Never saw a cop the whole trip. 800 mi. of heaven. I'll have some pics in a couple of days.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you had a blast. 800 miles of twisties and no cops?! Maybe you died and went to heaven.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must have cuz last year when I did the same trip I hit a big rock dropped the bike and got a speeding ticket. This time all I got was a very painful bee sting.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Iron butts rock! I just rode my first one last week and loved it. Can't wait to do it again. How much does an ST1300 go for again??!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
CBRjack : I must have cuz last year when I did the same trip I hit a big rock dropped the bike and got a speeding ticket. This time all I got was a very painful bee sting.
Sounds like you paid your dues for this trip in advance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Holy flashbacks. I used to live off Hwy 36 back in the day (Carlotta, CA - pop. 345 at the time). Never had a bike back then, but I drove it between Alton and Redding (via the A16 from Platina) enough times to want to do it on a bike. 299 is also a blast from Redding to the coast.

·
Registered
576 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Iron butts rock!  I just rode my first one last week and loved it.  Can't wait to do it again.   How much does an ST1300 go for again??!  
800 miles in three days is not exactly an iron butt ride, but those roads are really nice. Anyone else done Titlow Hill Road? It runs between 299 and 36 (from memory).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've hated Caltrans ever since the day I was going South on I-5 at about 11pm one night N of the 91 and they were doing construction, anyway, they had a 'detour' for S I-5, well, it went back up N and let right back to 5 and it did a big circle, I went around it 3 times before taking 91 to 15 and taking 15 down. Yep Caltrans can bite my

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mattress : I've hated Caltrans ever since the day I was going South on I-5 at about 11pm one night N of the 91 and they were doing construction, anyway, they had a 'detour' for S I-5, well, it went back up N and let right back to 5 and it did a big circle, I went around it 3 times before taking 91 to 15 and taking 15 down.  Yep Caltrans can bite my  
They're probably still laughing about that one

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Dude, you just road my old stomping grounds! Those roads are so good, riding down here in the Bay afterwards seemed so crappy I decided to basically quit riding on the street. Motorcycle heaven up there. Hiking/backpacking in Lassen park is great too, including the peak.

Another loop I love, provided you don't mind some slab time, is Highway 32 out of Chico, up around Lake Almanor, highway 70 down the Feather River canyon and out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had planned on riding 70 but the weather in the valley was too hot for more than one day. That ride makes even the best bay area roads look like crap. I'm ready to have another go at it but I'll need some new rubber first.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was just thinking about a road trip to that area. My Wife's family has property in a small logging town called Hayfork, and we take 36 to get there. She had actually commented on how that area had some great roads for riding, but [email protected] that's a long trip!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hayfork.. HAHA boy does that place bring back some memories..

Those are some serious roads!! Something I look forward to each year (takes us about 1 good day of riding to get there from here).

Congrats.. it does not get much better than that!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
eeeeek : Quote (Mattress @ Aug. 28 2003, 1:15am)I've hated Caltrans ever since the day I was going South on I-5 at about 11pm one night N of the 91 and they were doing construction, anyway, they had a 'detour' for S I-5, well, it went back up N and let right back to 5 and it did a big circle, I went around it 3 times before taking 91 to 15 and taking 15 down.  Yep Caltrans can bite my  
They're probably still  laughing about that one
'Hey Bob, look at this dipchit, it's his third time around!'

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holeshot : Hayfork..  HAHA  boy does that place bring back some memories..

Those are some serious roads!!  Something I look forward to each year (takes us about 1 good day of riding to get there from here).

Congrats.. it does not get much better than that!
I've actually taken that same trip for at least the last four years. It's neccesary to my sanity to get away for a couple of days. And the best sport riding in the country.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well CBRJack, next time you make that trip, let me know, maybe I can join you. And I have a place to flop no charge, although it is very primitive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts