Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Lookin good man....what did you do, just drill out the pegs, and insert single LEDs and tapped into the blinkers?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I think you need some resistors or a different flasher unit to cope with the LEDs.

Looks good though :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah,, will be going back to the under belly pipe so will have a better view then......for the 5 led's per side I added a 100ohm resistor to each positive line....then tied in with my existing blinkers

looks good :thumb: . too bad the pipe will get in the way of the other sides' visibility.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct just a regular automotive electronic relay will do as the stock relay is a thermal relay in turn causes the fast blinking.

I think you need some resistors or a different flasher unit to cope with the LEDs.

Looks good though :thumb:

·
Registered
85 Posts
you need the resistor to keep the led from blowing! and yup new relay is comming
Correct me if I am wrong, but you and lanbrown appear to be talking about 2 different functions for the resistor.

lanbrown is talking about using a resistor to fool the flasher relay to go the right speed. This usually needs to be pretty low resistance, because it has to draw a good bit of current to make the flasher work right. And it usually needs to be in parallel with the LEDs, because it has to draw a lot of current through it.

Your 100 ohm resistor was in series with the LEDs right? That was to set the current to the LEDs. Did you wire all 5 LEDs in series? What was the forward voltage drop across each? The more you have in series, and smaller resistor you use, the larger the current fluctuation will be, when the battery voltage changes.

The LEDs look good. Which LEDs did you use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts