Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my key and need to take my ignition cylinder out and take it to a locksmith to make a key but i dont know how to take it out. does anyone know how to do it? and is it hard. and how much do you think it will be at the locksmith to get a new copy of it??

thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I lost my key and need to take my ignition cylinder out and take it to a locksmith to make a key but i dont know how to take it out. does anyone know how to do it? and is it hard. and how much do you think it will be at the locksmith to get a new copy of it??

thanks.
Take the complete upper fork clamp off.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Does your tank and ignition share the same key? Mine did, so I just took the tank to the lock smith.
I would think it'd be _far_ easier to take the upper clamp than the fuel tank.
And doesn't the tank lock have less tumblers than the ignition?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would think it'd be _far_ easier to take the upper clamp than the fuel tank.
And doesn't the tank lock have less tumblers than the ignition?
I guess it depends on your bike. To get my tank off, I only have to take off a 8mm bolt, a 15mm bolt, and then just unhook the fuel line, breather and overflow, which are just simple spring clamps. All this can be done on the sidestand. To get my triple off, I would have to loosen both allen keys on the triple, then the head bolt, and disconnect the wiring, which is just a simple plug. You would have to support the front end, as I wouldn't want the weight going through just the lower clamp. Then to reassemble, you would have to make sure you get the head bolt torqued and adjusted correctly. Nothing complicated, but far easier, I disagree.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I guess it depends on your bike. To get my tank off, I only have to take off a 8mm bolt, a 15mm bolt, and then just unhook the fuel line, breather and overflow, which are just simple spring clamps. All this can be done on the sidestand. To get my triple off, I would have to loosen both allen keys on the triple, then the head bolt, and disconnect the wiring, which is just a simple plug. You would have to support the front end, as I wouldn't want the weight going through just the lower clamp. Then to reassemble, you would have to make sure you get the head bolt torqued and adjusted correctly. Nothing complicated, but far easier, I disagree.
To remove the tank you also have to drain it. It would be easier still to simply remove the fuel cap from the tank.
You do not have to support the front of the bike when you remove the upper clamp. Two pinch bolts, two bolts underneath that position the clip-ons and the steering stem nut. Disconnect the wiring and you're done.
You don't have to torque anything up during the reinstall. The steering stem nut merely holds the top clamp in place, it doesn't tension the steering head bearings.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Good idea, except you need the key to unlock the cap from the tank.
From my manual:
Steering adjust nut, 23ft-lbs
Steering stem nut, 75ft-lbs.
Good point :)
So draining the tank wouldn't be much fun either then.
Definately go with the upper clamp.
All fasteners have torque numbers, it doesn't mean you have to torque them up to those numbers though.
There are very few fasteners on a bike that I use a torque wrench on and they're all inside the engine.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Keep it simple...take out the 3 socket head cap screws that hold the gas cap to the tank,now go to the lock smith
That was my thinking, but as Skater points out, you still need a key to actually remove the cap from the tank :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
See if you can find a mobile locksmith. I lost the key to my bike once and for about $100 he came out and did his picking thing with my gas tank and ignition and about 15 minutes later I had a few keys made.
You might not be able to do it with just the gas tank. Sometimes the locks in the tank only use a couple of the tumblers that the actual ignition has.(same key, but it doesn't use the whole thing)
Quick and easy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sometimes the locks in the tank only use a couple of the tumblers that the actual ignition has.(same key, but it doesn't use the whole thing)
Quick and easy.
I never heard that before. I guess I was lucky when I got my key cut from the gas cap. $100 may seem like a lot, but it cost me $45 when I brought the tank in. $100 to have someone come out is worth it in my book.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Simpler yet, have a duplicate of the key made before you loose it, so you have a backup. Cost a couple bucks at a locksmith.
Wow!! really?
that is a great idea for some one who has not yet lost there key
but people who just lost the key, wouldn't want to hear helpful hints like that

lol my new locks get in from china any day now

but steingar if you keep up with tips like that you will be running a close race with bladeracer for being a turd in the punch bowl

ya bladeracer i know you have uptenth's thousands post in here, but most tho's are flaming or just being a dick, damn shame half ur post's are not helpful

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
but steingar if you keep up with tips like that you will be running a close race with bladeracer for being a turd in the punch bowl
Since you've put this out there would you care to explain?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i went to a locksmith, the guy did great work......... but i only had him do the truck lid, i am sure he could have done all the locks, but I did not like the idea that some one out there had a key to my bike, so i went with the ignition and gas cap with keys new off of ebay. think it was 50 bucks shipped

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

ya bladeracer i know you have uptenth's thousands post in here, but most tho's are flaming or just being a dick, damn shame half ur post's are not helpful
Can you direct me to just a single example so I might mend my ways?
I'm not aware I've ever flamed anybody for anything. Certainly not like you're flaming me now at least...
Not so sure about being a dick though :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I lost my honda key a few weeks back....

Went through the original service book and the origninal selling dealer had written the code e.g C98 in the front. I found a locksmith online that new what this meant, and got a standard key made for £5.95!

The original dealer will always keep these records too, so you may be able to prove that you own the bike, and ask what key it had originally (if you weren't as lucky as me) and then get one cut.

After searching the house for 6 weeks, and getting a new key cut, the original turned up. Thus making me glade i didn't change all the locks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.