Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Some of you may have read/wrote on two threads I started last week. I really meant to get these pictures up quicker but I was busy. If you guys want to see more pictures, let me know!, maybe you guys see something I don't and may just want a closer look, zoomed in or something :p. and as I do changes, i'll update with more pics, if anyone cares haha

The guy I bought it from is an absolute zip tie master. as you will see in the photos ... lol!

Yes, I think this shows the missing fairing piece... normally shouldn't see through like this? Lol.

There might be a small ding or two on the exhaust/muffler. I think there is a small dent on the headers on the bottom of the bike as well. but honestly shouldn't be affecting anything too much

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: My (kinda) new 2001 CBR929RR!

Well think the question is how much did you buy it for and how well the PO looked after it?And whats with all the wires laying around there under the left fairing?looks like this bike needs some attention . . .again the question rises,how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
193 Posts

Ohw i c. . . so he basically neglected it and tried to be a backyard mechanic . . lol . . cuz he didnt even tidy it up . . . is the motor still good? Cuz if it is then its good for $1900.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

I do like the zip tie work, was the guy a baseball player by chance?

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,036 Posts

^^^ :rotfl: :clap:

seriously though, the Erion 929 is my mostest favorite looking bike Honda ever designed :thumb: seeing what happened to yours breaks my heart, but I hope you're able to resurrect/restore it to its original beauty.

keep us posted, yeah?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I don't think he was a baseball player lol

but from what I can tell it seemed he took good care of the engine, did all the maintenance and even gave me all his extra fluids.(well, I am hoping he took good care of the engine.. my friend said it rode great) so for $1900, I actually got a new bike chain + sprocket, 2 quarts of oil, brake fluid and chain grease.

I was lurking craigslist for months and when I finally stumbled upon the 929rr erion I instantly fell in love with the look of the bike. I hope I can restore this baby to its original glory xD

I've restored a 73' VW bug SE, and a 70' 442 cutlass.. hopefully some of the skills overlap with a bike!

**EDIT** anyone know how a good way to get those dents out of the gas tank?

·
Registered
193 Posts

If The Motor Is In Great Shape then all Sounds Good :thumb:and you got some maintenance stuff aswell Which is a plus:plus1:.But Like Gunk Said it Doesn't Look Bad It Just Needs Some China Fairings and Tank Repaired best way for the tank would be some body putty,primer,spot putty,primer and paint.dont waist your time trying to get the dents out if you can do it yourself or you know someone that can do it or just buy a new tank. . .and maybe an aftermarket speedo.KOSO MAYBE?:eyebrows:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So took some time to work on the bike this weekend, and boy, theres a ton of stuff that needs work. tore off all the fairings and.. errrr seems the bike was dropped, a lot..

So.. before buying the bike I already knew it had a broken engine bolt on the right side of the bike. After taking the fairings off, found the second engine bolt(right side as well) also had problems. engine block piece came off. ugh, never welded aluminum before so I hope I can do this..(the engine block is aluminum right?)

Here is the broken bolt stuck in the engine block.

Okay, so I had to lower the engine to take out the broken bolt. Naturally had I to take a few things out too. Found this little thing, totally NOT the right part that goes into here(supposed to be a 12MM BOLT, this thing is maybe 8mm). This entire bar is threaded, and for that reason, started cutting grooves where I have it circled.

Also, you can kinda see there is a metal piece broken off from the block, that goes over the chain. It's supposed to provide a screw hole so you can screw on the plastic covering. It's something I'll also have to weld back on lol.

The stays(both) in the front of the bike that hold up the speedometer, side mirrors and headlight are also bent/cracked in half.

The headlights were actually ziptied onto the horizontal bar in the picture lol, you can see where the paint actually rubbed off because of that.

I would weld these stays together, but I dont know what orientation they should be in since they are so bent / cracked.

Can anyone tell me what this cylinder thing under the seat is? Can't seem to pin point on the manuals.

Also, I think the bar that connects to the seat is broken, so another thing to weld. (circled in red )

Then this thing on the radiator.. I don't know what it is? My guess it's a temperature sensor that is supposed to have a connector on it? It's completely bent too lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Holy ****! This thing looks worse than i expected!:eek:
I cant see the "cylinder" good enough in the pic but that thing on your radiator is a temp sensor and there ahould be a wore going to it from the dash otherwise the temp gauge wont work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
At first I was gonna say that looked like a decent Erion that was a little "rough around the edges" but now after seeing the latest pics it's definitely led a harder life.

Suppose the bike has plenty of "character," if you will. :)

Sucks that the previous owner used a 8mm bolt in that 12mm engine bolt hole; looks like it rounded the hole to hell so you'll have to cut new threads (tap and die set) where the existing hole was.

G'luck getting her fixed back up; you've identified several problems that need to be addressed and are well on your way to correcting them.

Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Awe mannnn.... This guy must have been ghost riding tbis thing in the kmart parking lot. I think you could find misc broken ebay parts that are broke in different spots and hopefully save that way. We are all so glad to see youre going to revive this beauty. Dont give up. Theres a way to fix everything and it all includes patience. :thumb: also be prepared for a lot of unexpected setbacks big and small.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi all! Reading all your latest posts really make me laugh, because I was thinking all of the same things when I finally tore off the fairings.. but I already bought the bike so might as well roll with the punches :idunno:

I actually got a ton of work done on the bike over these past two weeks. I haven't taken as many pictures as I'd like but I will take them and post them. For now I only have some of my new taillight and rear fairing. The tail light has integrated turn signals. and the plastic is kind of blacked out, just shady I'd say. but my favorite is that it's LED :)

The fairings are from China. So, the mounting holes where you screw the tail light in place did not line up at all.... but I made the best of the situation and drilled a hole on each side of the fairing in order to hold the tailight. Used a stainless screw and washer. I did my best to make it look it was supposed to be there / blend in. what you guys think?

The old taillight was actually cracked, and the plastic which held the screws were broken (I dont know how the old owner managed that). And so it was held by zip ties, and was flopping around every time i went over a bump. I did my best to line up the new taillight

Back view when it is turned on. A little brigher in the photo. The brightness is closer to the top part of the headlight.

And here is a shot with the left turn signal on. It's hard to see, but i'm sure it'll be noticeable to people driving behind me

As for the wiring, there are two harness plugs in the back for the old tail light, one for each bulb. One of harness plugs were shot and had no electricity going through them. Luckily for me, this LED tail light only needs one plug :)

And lastly, the keyhole was moving up and down.. I think the guy lost the bracket that holds it in place. So all I did was strip some electrical wire and used the metal to wrap it around the key hole, which keeps it from sliding up and down. I will post a pic of it later this week to show what I mean.

anyone with a 929rr as well, and is interested in the tail light, here is the link

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow its looking alot better and sounds like its coming along nicely great to see your giving so much love to the bike. .a little tip normally when you have a tail light and each bulb gets his own source of power and one bulb is not working or the wiring is burned or anything like that its usually a indication that somewhere in that bike life time the regular was shot and the person riding the bike at that time didnt know it and still rode the p!ss out of it and the wires burned and the bulb fused as a result.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts