Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

so last night I go to a party... A friend is smoking a cigar, well hell I say, let me hit that $hit... Never tried it, why not, I'm all about some flavor, so lets do it...

I do... That prompts an immediate run to the store for some more. Bought 6 different kinds and between me and one other person, we smoked them all in about a 4 hour period last night...

I am so totally hooked. I'm not sure if I remember all the brands I bought, but thursday nights around here a local shop opens his doors for you to try all different kinds. I'm so there...

Anyone else smoke cigars on special occasions? Anyone got any favorites I should try next?

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm not a smoker but do enjoy a good cigar with some wine now and then. I have some Montecristo's straight from Cuba sitting here beside me... mmm.

On the other hand, it's a bitch to find someplace to smoke them these days. Winter is too cold for outdoors, our restaurants and public places are all smoke free. Where can you sit and enjoy a good cigar without going to a cigar pub?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I enjoy cigars and smoke them (outside :crap: ) whenever I can. Do you have a local cigar shop/tobacconist close by? If so, get to know him and he'll help you with selecting cigars you'd like. Be warned...cigars can get expensive depending on your tastes! Like wine, the search for a good stogie is half the fun...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
Anyone else smoke cigars on special occasions? Anyone got any favorites I should try next?

:thumb:
Forgot to answer the question. Cuban Cuban Cuban. I don't think it's technically illegal for you folks to go there anymore, although you may have to route through Canada or Mexico, but you should go.

Here is some advice a friend gave me when I asked for some advice. He is a real afficianado and travels to Cuba JUST for the cigars.
(formatted)
Romeo Y Julietta CHURCHILLS it's a big cigar, but not overly strong. a classic for the novice, and expert... and they are usually available
everywhere down there, since they are popular.
El Rey del Mundo CHOIX SUPREME one of my personal favourites... good size, about 40/45 mins to smoke, and very tasty.
Hoyo Monterrey EPICURE NO.2 same size as the El Rey, just a different taste.
Diplomaticos
NO.2 same shape as the famous montecristo #2, but cheaper, and i think, better
NO.3 same size as montecristo #3, better, cheaper
NO.4 same size/shape as montecristo #4, better, cheaper
Sancho Panza BELICOSOS slighly shorter than the Montecristo #2, but same shape. milder, but very flavourful.
edit: And more of his advice
you need a humidor. there is no other way.
you can get one that will hold 50-75 cigars for maybe $100-150.. properly stored, cigars
will keep for 30,40, 50 years..

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Hang onto your ass. I smoked cigars for a couple of years. Had my own humidor, cutter, nice lighter and travel case, the whole shebang. It's worse than modding.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was in Cuba a few years ago and got a box of #3 Cohiba's.
Great smoke. I sold some to pay for the box $200 US for 25.
I bought a few Montecristo's #3 but they were cheaper and tasted a lot cheaper.
I enjoy the smaller cigars so you can finish them and they do not overpower your senses for half a day.
Hard to beat a good cigar and a rum and coke.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
and more advice
Cohiba, Hoyo, Romeo, Partagas, and Montecristo. they are a little more expensive... but the quality is top
notch.
I didn't try any Cohibas while I was down there because they were expensive. I did smoke some Partagas but wasn't a big fan... I prefered the cheaper Diplimatico's for an after dinner smoke.

But as Kuss said... they can mess up your senses pretty damn good.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Smoked a couple Cubans while traveling and from stashes of various Cubans guys here at work collect when overseas and often keep them in a traveling humidor in the car. They recommend mixing them with nice cognacs.

I did taste differences and some were better than others but...I don't really get it. I can still taste the damn thing, and nothing else the next morning. :idunno:

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Kuss929 said:
Hard to beat a good cigar and a rum and coke.
That was my drink for cigar time as well, although by the time I quit the habit, it was more Captain, less Coke than my early days!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
luvtolean said:
I did taste differences and some were better than others but...I don't really get it. :idunno:
Honestly, cigar smoking is like wine, martinis, scotch or any other aquired taste.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah man, we can't get cubans here... The whole embargo/ban/whatever we have with them...

Anyone recommend something I can buy locally and not for a whole lot of $$?

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
yeah man, we can't get cubans here... The whole embargo/ban/whatever we have with them...

Anyone recommend something I can buy locally and not for a whole lot of $$?
It's just like motorcycle parts my man. Any local shop will cost you alot more than a good e-vendor.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
"There's nothing like a good cigar."

"... then again, there's nothing like a bad cigar either."

I dunno, I'm not so keen on them that I would suffer through a bad cigar so I tend to shy away from anything that's not fresh or properly kept. I had a good site all about cigars and how to evaluate them BEFORE you buy. But the guy seems to have been taken offline. I know the author and will contact him... hopefully the details are somewhere public.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Cuban cigars are available here in Canadian cigar shops, but very pricey.

I know for a fact that many Americans cross the border into Windsor and the travel companies make a nice business of flying them to Cuba, many of them just for a cheap vacation and good cigars. (So they don't just come here for the :boobies: :boobs: bars.)

Cigars are like Scotch. True afficianadoes prefer expensive single malt Scotch, and the same with fine cigars, they prefer the heavier flavour of the more pricey cigars. A friend buys his cigars in a Detroit shop somewhere for like $22 USD for a box of 25. They are very nicely flavoured and very mild. If you want, I'll find out the name.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts