Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Gee, I know the rear's only a 190, but that looks massive! Obviously will be narrower once pulled into the rim.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the shadow is distorting the real size, it did have the 180/55 on originally but I've taken it back to stock

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Very interested in this, Bill.

What sort of paint will you use to colour and top coat? Will you bake it?

My query relates to the 'hardness' of the finished product and its ability to withstand tyre levers/presses. I know there are rim protectors available, but people like those of us on this forum do not like to put our wheels at risk of damage. With my few bikes I can easily justify a good tyre machine and they're less than £100. However, even with the greatest care, will ordinary or two-pack paint stand up to these?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't see why 2k urethane wouldn't be hard enough to stand up, the base layers are more likely to give way. I've been considering painting my rims and thought I'd have to go with 2k primer for a harder finish

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Very interested in this, Bill.

What sort of paint will you use to colour and top coat? Will you bake it?

My query relates to the 'hardness' of the finished product and its ability to withstand tyre levers/presses. I know there are rim protectors available, but people like those of us on this forum do not like to put our wheels at risk of damage. With my few bikes I can easily justify a good tyre machine and they're less than £100. However, even with the greatest care, will ordinary or two-pack paint stand up to these?
Just a glossy Black , but will put on about 4/5 layers and rub down each time, finish off with a lacquer, but this wont be done till the summer when the garage is at its hottest, and leave them for about a month before I look at putting the tyre's on, tried Powder coating before and that was a nightmare on wheel's , you only had to look at them and they would Chip, it will be easier to repair if the worse happens with paint

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,636 Posts
tried Powder coating before and that was a nightmare on wheel's , you only had to look at them and they would Chip, it will be easier to repair if the worse happens with paint
I find this really odd, Bill. I've had wheels powder coated in 3 different decades, I've never had one chip, ever. Must be that cool, damp UK air ;)

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Took the rear pegs off for a clean, the left peg only had one bolt in ,that was until I looked, bolt had snapped off in the hole, luckily enough I have some Colbalt and TCT drills, they drilled it out in no time at all, peg back on

21 - 40 of 44 Posts