Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out for a little spin this evening, and the seat cowl must not have been properly attached. I was on back roads for about an hour, and never noticed it. Once I hit the highway though, I felt something hit my back. Turned around, and saw it tumbling down the highway. Teresa turned around and went back to get it. She said it was fine till she was standing along the roadway waiting for chance to get it, and a car swerved at it almost on purpose. :rant:

Oh well. Lesson learned!

:(

·
Registered
559 Posts
Man, that sucks. Especially that someone would serve to hit it. I take it the tail is not hinged on the 51 like on a 54?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Northy said:
Man, that sucks. Especially that someone would serve to hit it. I take it the tail is not hinged on the 51 like on a 54?
Nope, it's not hinged. It just slides into place. Knowing me, I probably just forgot to latch it all the way.

:crying:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I've had a couple of guys have that happen. You really need to make sure they're on 100%. I rode an RSV Mille around once for 2-3 hours, hitting 160-180km/hr, no problem. I got almost home, popped the front wheel up and wushka, tail section flies off. Put the tail on, push it, pull it, lift it up and shake it.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
That really sucks, but I'm very relieved. I thought for sure it was gonna be a thread about you hitting gravel and tossing it in a ditch.

How you liking it?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NinerPilot said:
You get a plate #? :evilaugh: Check and make sure the latch bolt (8mm) is snug. Put Loc-tite on it to make sure it stays that way.
Chris
Ha! I wish. I was waiting at the next intersection, and a car went speeding past, honking it's horn. It was a blue (i think) Chevy Lumina. Funny thing is that was the descrip. given by Teresa of the car that hit it. I didn't see it, but she says the cowl was on the burm of the roadway, outside of the white line. I guess it'd be understandable if it was in the middle or something.

:rant:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ND4SPD said:
That really sucks, but I'm very relieved. I thought for sure it was gonna be a thread about you hitting gravel and tossing it in a ditch.

How you liking it?
No thank goodness. I guess in the whole scheme of things, this is pretty darn minor!

Words can't describe it!! I absolutley love it!! I was gonna start a thread about it, but I didn't feel like writing a book. :cool: The power delivery is so smooth. Now I now why everyone says they're "sneaky fast." Unbelievable. The brakes are better stock than my 929 was w/kevlar lines and HH pads. It definately weighs more, but once you get it going down the road, it all disappears. I haven't pushed it by any means yet, but it appears to be much more stable vs. the 929. Not that my 929 was twitchy or anything, just by comparison. And then there's that V-Twin sound!!!

In short, I love it!! :clap:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
is there any way to tether those rear seat cowls? i thought about it for the 600rr but thought again about it coming off and then banging around damaging the rest of the tailsection.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
freq said:
is there any way to tether those rear seat cowls? i thought about it for the 600rr but thought again about it coming off and then banging around damaging the rest of the tailsection.
There probably is, however it is more than likely that I just forgot to latch it properly.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
if it is just the seat cowl cover that is busted up, and not the latch, you can replace it for a whopping $25-30. The part that is painted (seat cowl cover) just screws into the base. As long as the base isn't damaged, you have a relatively cheap part to replace.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
booth23 said:
if it is just the seat cowl cover that is busted up, and not the latch, you can replace it for a whopping $25-30. The part that is painted (seat cowl cover) just screws into the base. As long as the base isn't damaged, you have a relatively cheap part to replace.
That's all that I can see is damaged, thankfully. Just a stupid mistake I guess. Like I said earlier. "lesson learned."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Dude don't feel bad, you should actually be happy that you messed up a part that is so cheap. I scratched up my first one pretty bad one day. I had removed the cowl to get money for a coke and set it on my seat. Wind gust came and blew it off, it landed about 6 ft way, busted up and scratched. I was pretty pissed until I got home and figured out that it would cost me a whopping $30 to get a new one from Ron Ayers. I thought it would be $100 or something. I actually keep a spare one, in my spares box just in case. I figured when I ordered the new one that something similar would happen again. Live and learn dude. :thumb:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
booth23 said:
Dude don't feel bad, you should actually be happy that you messed up a part that is so cheap. I scratched up my first one pretty bad one day. I had removed the cowl to get money for a coke and set it on my seat. Wind gust came and blew it off, it landed about 6 ft way, busted up and scratched. I was pretty pissed until I got home and figured out that it would cost me a whopping $30 to get a new one from Ron Ayers. I thought it would be $100 or something. I actually keep a spare one, in my spares box just in case. I figured when I ordered the new one that something similar would happen again. Live and learn dude. :thumb:
I hope you changed your ways and drink Pepsi now :p

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and the a**holes in the car.

Niner may have been only joking, but I just want to make certain everyone knows not to put Loctite anywhere near the plastics on the bike. There's a volatile agent in the Loctite that attacks the plastic and causes it to crack. DAMHIK this.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
maxib said:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and the a**holes in the car.

Niner may have been only joking, but I just want to make certain everyone knows not to put Loctite anywhere near the plastics on the bike. There's a volatile agent in the Loctite that attacks the plastic and causes it to crack. DAMHIK this.

No, I was serious. There is a 8mm bolt that holds the latch to the subframe. That is what you loctite, not the plastic.
Chris

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
booth23 said:
Yeah, I'm pretty relieved that it's a cheap part. Actually, I thought also of just getting 2 and be done w/it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts