I dont think I'd ever ride in that class

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
LMAO!

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Sweet jesus that's a fun video. What is it/where did you find it? Sorry, I'm not up on my racin' like some of the rest of you boys.

Edit: My first guess would have been Moto GP, but the bike that the camera is mounted on sounds weird to me. High pitched and LOUD.

Edit II: Do these guys do anything at all with their left foot? Is all the shifting done with their hands? I can't detect the guy on the Yamaha doing anything really obvious.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
You racer types need to explain to me how the hell he shifts that thing.

I know less than nothing about racing other than what I've seen on tv and at the track a time or two.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Chain : You racer types need to explain to me how the hell he shifts that thing.

I know less than nothing about racing other than what I've seen on tv and at the track a time or two.
ummm, he shifts just like you're supposed to. Maybe you just have never tried GP shift, as all it takes is a slight tap to upshift. You can see him move his foot distinctly when he needs to catch a downshift, but if you look closely you can see nearly every upshift as well.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
abtech : Quote (Chain @ Oct. 11 2003, 12:23pm)You racer types need to explain to me how the hell he shifts that thing.

ummm, he shifts just like you're supposed to.  Maybe you just have never tried GP shift, as all it takes is a slight tap to upshift.  You can see him move his foot distinctly when he needs to catch a downshift, but if you look closely you can see nearly every upshift as well.
So it's a reverse pattern shift? Interesting stuff.

Does he have to manually activate the clutch or is the actuation of the clutch automated? Or does he do it all with throttle blips?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
nice vid!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Chain : Quote (abtech @ Oct. 11 2003, 3:39pm)Quote (Chain @ Oct. 11 2003, 12:23pm)You racer types need to explain to me how the hell he shifts that thing.

ummm, he shifts just like you're supposed to.  Maybe you just have never tried GP shift, as all it takes is a slight tap to upshift.  You can see him move his foot distinctly when he needs to catch a downshift, but if you look closely you can see nearly every upshift as well.
So it's a reverse pattern shift? Interesting stuff.

Does he have to manually activate the clutch or is the actuation of the clutch automated? Or does he do it all with throttle blips?
On most GP bikes they have an ignition trigger that either shuts down the ignition for a few microseconds or retards the timing whenever pressure (a calibrated amount) is applied to the shift lever. These devices are a bit on the finicky side, but once dialed in they are very nice. Having said that, a few riders prefer to just dip the throttle for a heartbeat when they shift, both techniques work well and a very good rider can equal the best auto cutoff systems available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts