Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the "fun" when first getting into a used bike purchase is sorting through the wiring to power aftermarket accessories. In my area at least, folks tend to spend a good deal of money and time installing purely aesthetic modifications such as vanity LEDs, cat's eye headlights, etc. while neglecting sensible & even critical upgrades like stainless steel brake lines, swingarm spools, and frame sliders. I get that folks are reticent to cut the fairings, but IMO, a bike isn't fit for use without sliders. Just bite the bullet & put them on. Lowsides can happen to anyone, even well experienced, veteran riders.

With respect to the wiring, it should be expected to encounter mixed & inappropriate gauges & wire type, crappy splicing (twist rather than solder), lazy insulation with copious amounts of electrical tape as opposed to heat crimps, etc. To the previous owners credit, he was sensible enough to wire in-line fuses, and the use of female blade terminals I thought was creative. However, the rest of the work on this new bike is typical shite - as described above. When sorting through the aftermarket wires, I found something rather curious, as illustrated in the attached picture (with black fuel tank).

For some strange reason, there was a working backup camera installed with a monitor mounted on the tank cover, and when pulling that rather eccentric (for a motorcycle) modification off, I discovered a heavier gauge (red) wire spliced off one of the ignition wires on the front connector - brown one on top of the airbox. It has a 5 amp fuse in line, and ran with a bundle of other wires along the left side of the bike, behind the fuel tank cover to under the seat, but connected to nothing. I suspect this was installed for either a previous, or planned "upgrade" - who knows what this feller has in store, but I've never seen anything like this before.

Does anyone know why someone would splice off one of the primary ignition wires in a manner such as this? What do you think it was for? I've always been a wiring purist, and having spent far more time working out electrical glitches than I'd like, strongly prefer to preserve the factory wiring harness integrity. It would seem splicing of this sort would dilute the voltage output, adversely affecting performance. Something to be avoided.

So, what say thee Fireblades.org? What's that wire there for? Is it safe & stable to run a setup like that with some sort of accessory attached drawing current?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better picture of ignition wire Mystery splice.

One of the pictures, 618, shows the rear of the left fairing. Underneath the diaphragm (silver disk) are two toggle switches - front one with the green & brown twisted wires is connected to the "cats eye" headlight. The rear switch is a road to nowhere, with the capped red & black wires coming off. These are both running off the same circuit - a spliced aftermarket line connected to the battery. Guess this dude had big plans to make his bike an electro-wonder.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your guess is as good as any IMHO. There's no telling what someone was up to with that mess...neon lighting, etc. Good on you for saving it from future parking lot pimping.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
In my area at least, folks tend to spend a good deal of money and time installing purely aesthetic modifications such as vanity LEDs, cat's eye headlights, etc. while neglecting sensible & even critical upgrades like stainless steel brake lines, swingarm spools, and frame sliders. I get that folks are reticent to cut the fairings, but IMO, a bike isn't fit for use without sliders. Just bite the bullet & put them on. Lowsides can happen to anyone, even well experienced, veteran riders.
People like to customize their vehicles; that is their choice. You don't need stainless steel brake lines for either cruising or sitting in a parking lot.

Not every bike needs swing-arm spools either. You can buy stands that still lift via the swing arm without the need for spools. Most likely the people who pimp a bike out really are not worried about maintenance; either they just don't do it or they will get a new bike in a year or two.

Frame sliders...that is purely a personal preference and in no way critical. I rank those up with curb feelers on cars and grounding straps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not every bike needs swing-arm spools either...

Frame sliders...that is purely a personal preference and in no way critical. I rank those up with curb feelers on cars and grounding straps.
And you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Before this thread gets misdirected, what do y'all think about that splice off the ignition wire?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
The previous owner did a hack job; pretty typical work for most people. Get it working for the cheapest and easiest route possible. The PO also liked to use lots of wire; he must have had access to it for free but didn't have a pair of wire cutters to use.

If I had to tap into an ignition wire, I would have used a dry contact relay. There are better places to splice than the ignition wire to get power when the bike is on though. I would have used a relay though and not draw power from a source that was never designed to provide power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts