Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Read quite a few posts on here which have helped with various problems I've been having since rebuilding the baby blade, so thanks :clap:

So, my issue. I seem to have a a fair amount of fuel draining out of what i think is some type of overflow pipe from the right hand (when sitting on the bike) pair of carbs. I've had the float chamber apart and the float needle is free and moving.

I've read in another post about adjusting them to 7mm but not sure how, any tips or ideas on anything else that could cause this?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hey all.

Read quite a few posts on here which have helped with various problems I've been having since rebuilding the baby blade, so thanks :clap:

So, my issue. I seem to have a a fair amount of fuel draining out of what i think is some type of overflow pipe from the right hand (when sitting on the bike) pair of carbs. I've had the float chamber apart and the float needle is free and moving.

I've read in another post about adjusting them to 7mm but not sure how, any tips or ideas on anything else that could cause this?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

You don't check the float valve is free and moving, you check if it is sealing.
Hook the carbs up to a fuel supply and see if they leak. Ideally, you want the supply up around head height and the carbs near the floor to provide some head pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure this only happens when either the bike is running or I'm spinning it over getting it to fire. I have had the tank directly onto the carbs, suspended from above and can't say it does it.

I'll go try again in five minutes though and see.

I take it there isn't a way to adjust, calibrate or even verify the position of the needle other than feeding fluid into it?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm pretty sure this only happens when either the bike is running or I'm spinning it over getting it to fire. I have had the tank directly onto the carbs, suspended from above and can't say it does it.

I'll go try again in five minutes though and see.

I take it there isn't a way to adjust, calibrate or even verify the position of the needle other than feeding fluid into it?

Thanks for the reply.

You can visually inspect the needle to ensure there's no sign of wear or damage but there's no way of adjusting it if it's worn. Twenty-two years is a pretty good indication that they're not pristine though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so fixed it. It was something to do with the needle or the wire clip that connects it to the float.

Tested it by blowing down the fuel supply hose reasonably hard and watched what happens. Sure enough fuel got past the needle when it was supposed to be closed so cleaned it and retested. Problem solved.

Cheers for the advice bladeracer. You can expect to see more posts from me in the near future :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts