Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, new guy here

I bought my first big bike last night, an NC23 i absolutely love her and she's a very quick bike. Though i already have a problem less than 24 hours of owning it :mad:

I gave her a damn good wash and polish this afternoon ready for some pics (never actually got round to the pics), and took her out for a spin first but when i started her (bump start, battery is pretty weak from flooding her last night and killing it being on the button too long, also i think the reg/rec may be on it's way out as after 100 miles of riding the battery still wasn't charged) she was having trouble idling then got about a mile down the road where i stopped at a junction and it cut out, i very quickly got off the road and bumped it and she came back to life, then a few hundred yards down the road it cut out again and wouldn't even hint at starting.

So after a long push i got to my uncles work where we started diagnosing, the ignition fuse had blown and read online that people have had trouble with it being dodgy connections to the fuel pump, so whilst we were checking that there was a burning smell and i spotted smoke coming from the rear seat which turned out to be the CDI which is melted inside

Now the bike was running like a dream until i washed it so i'm assuming that i got water into where it shouldn't be and overloaded the connections to the CDI or something along those lines? My question is would i be right in assuming this? I've just ordered a new one and the last thing i need is for it to do the same again as i'm skint from buying the bike.

Thanks for taking the time to read this for those of you that could be bothered to read my essay

Oh I should also add the bike has been sat for a year or so previous to me buying it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: NC23 CDI Burnt

Problem solved. Turned out the reg/rec was knackered which in turn fried my CDI (and most probably battery too).

I've ordered an Yamaha R6 regulator which i've been told are a million times better than the standard one on the cibber, all in all it's been an expensive couple of days but all should be well now.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Glad to hear you got your bike up and running again.
Btw, although you found the problem, I 've actually fried the starter relay on my Kawasaki by getting water in it after a wash. So it is possible. Just be careful with the water hose.

:thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts