Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2000 Accord for my daughter to go to college with. It seem to leave her stranded occasionally after driving in traffic. When I try to mimic the traffic, turn the car off, come back in 15 to 20 minutes it always starts for me. She drove me around and tried to get it to fail also although it did sputter a little it still turned over and fired but she says the sputtering is how it acts when it fails. It has 180,000 miles, cool air intake with fresh plugs and recently came up with the EGR code which I cleared as well as cleaned the EGR valve out. I will have the car for a few weeks during the holidays. Any ideas?
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
My wife's X Trail was doing the same thing, ended up having to replace the Mass air flow meter. Running like a dream now.
Other things you could look at is a dirty fuel filter or injectors, maybe put some injector cleaner in it and see how that goes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife's X Trail was doing the same thing, ended up having to replace the Mass air flow meter. Running like a dream now.
Other things you could look at is a dirty fuel filter or injectors, maybe put some injector cleaner in it and see how that goes.
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. I forgot to mention I did run I believe "STP" Tank, line and injector cleaner through it but did not check the fuel filter although I would think it would be more of a consistent problem if it were that. I was kicking around the idea it may be heat related, possibly a fuel or ignition relay if there is one but don't know how to check them other than a Ohm meter and possibly warm them in the toaster oven? I will look into the flow meter.
Bob

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ever figure this one out? My daughter had a civic, a 2002 dx. That she used for college. :)
Not yet. Although she was home for the break and I did get it to fail for me somewhat. When warm, if the vehicle sits for approximately 15 minutes and is cranked it seems to have a kind of "muffled bark" and will not continue to run. But if the throttle is depressed slightly it will act up but within a few moments start to smooth out and run. PO added a cold air intake and screwed up and pulled all KN filter media out so it was nothing but a screened cage. I have since replaced. The IAT which they used on this year had the correct OHM resistance when I checked. The auto is fully loaded and a really nice vehicle but she is starting to shop around for a replacement and I can't blame her. If I can get this figured out I may be able to convince her to keep it.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
It's been a little too ling since I worked on my daughters civic, can't really recall the specifics of the car. I changed a timing belt and CV axle for her, but never any of the sensors or anything related to fuel and spark. I was just wondering how you came along with this one.
Any codes? Guessing you'd have to get an analyzer and those cost anywhere from $50 and up.
Does it have a MAF sensor? or is that what you called IAT?
I scorched the MAF in another car with the oil from a K&N filter once...
That's about all I got.
:idunno:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Does the car act up immediately after re-fueling or only when it is warm as well. If you feather the gas after it is warm and then go mobile does the rough idling disappear???---if so check the o2 sensor....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts