Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work commute is soon to become over 500 miles a week. I need a great gas mileage car and that is very reliable. I was thinking the new civics but what else is there? I would like to stay away from hybrids because of repair costs just in case. Also, is there a site that really says what a car gets per gallon? Almost all my driving with be interstate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT SUBARU. Number one in Reliability by consumer reports. The only Car company to have every vehicle recomended by consumer reports and they get great gas mileage. I suggest the Legacy or Impreza. Compare them to the civic. Ten times better. My girlfriend and i both drive them. If you want a good deal Call Jarrod Fitzgearlds at 18164743100

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't know who has had problems with their Prius, but I do know our domestic automakers have launched a serious campaign against them due to patents owned by Toyota and Honda. You'll get several hundred miles per tankful.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The new Camry with a 268hp V6 is still rated at 31mpg on the highway and that is with the new stricter ratings. By the old rating system it would be more like 35-36mpg. That is a very good power to milage ratio.

The 4 cyl. Camry is rated at 34mpg, 158 hp

The new civics are pretty good as well but are a lot smaller than a Camry. Rated at 140 hp 30 city/38 highway. Pretty decent power to milage ratio. Maybe the best looking of all the comparable cars. I didn't think they looked all that great based on adds but my next door neighbor just bought one and I really like it.

The Corolla is rated at 32/41 which is really good, only 126hp though. Kind of ugly.

The Subaru's have a lot more power for a standard 4 cyl at 173 but crappy milage. 22 city/29 highway. In Idaho they are a very popular car due to the AWD being standard but the AWD sucks fuel. It is too much parasitic loss. A lot of my friends drove them for ski vehicles. Most of my friends get more like 20/27 for milage. They are sweet cars but even their highest mileage car doesn't get 30 mpg on the highway. (Edit: The Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition with the automatic manages a rating of 23/30.)

The Mazda 3 has been improved a lot. I think it has decent looks but not as good as the civic. 156hp with a 26/33 mpg rating. Decent overall ratio for power to milage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Year old Impala. You can get one cheap, decent mileage, decent power. Reliable. That's what I have for a company car. 04 Impala with 138K miles. Works fine for commuting.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

I was just kind of throwing that out to see what people would say but it fits your criteria of great gas mileage and is reliable. I know on a 96 the front end tends to get a little light at 70mph but not really a problem. should be real cheap to buy and maintain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
why gasoline???
we have diesel jettas 600 miles on 12 gallons i would suggest a stick shift and a computer upgrade with that done it smokesem in 1st barks them into second
plus you can go to grease car dot com add the veggie oil kit adn never go to a pump

900 cbr rr camel joe bike

·
Registered
216 Posts
I actually had a geo for a while to just get me to and from work since it's a 55 mile a day round trip. It was a great little car. Had a Subaru engine in it I believe. Body went to hell but it continued to run great.

Saturns are good too for gas mileage.
maybe a Suzuki engine actually?

I have a Geo Tracker 4 cyl for sale if you want it! $300 out the door! just come get it, let's say... tomorrow! :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts