Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last spill, I gave the 954 to the shop to put my little humpy dumpy back together again. Apparently I broke some clutch switch in the handle bar that recognizes if the kick stand down. Mechanic said he'd give me the bike as a 'work around' right now until the last few parts get in but wants me to sign a waiver. Any mechanical/other reasons this would bad (aside from actually cruising with the footpeg down ;))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,599 Posts
I usually leave the bike in gear when stopping, killing the engine with the kickstand, followed by a quick dismount. If you're used to doing this, you could find yourself staring at the sky, forgetting that your bike was still running and in gear when you tried to get off it. If you don't do that, there's no reason to worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
If your going to sign that waiver then make sure that it specifically states that it is only for the Kickstand kill switch... And not for any other work performed. Just incase something else goes wrong he will still be liable for the work.. :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
This is like bypassing the neutral safety switch in a car.


This will effect whether or not the bike will crank in gear. In other words... If you ever crank the bike while on the side stand (supposedly in neutral) to let it warm up make sure it is not in gear. It is nothing you can’t work around but it is surprising how lazy we become when we learn to rely on even the simplest technology.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,224 Posts
Scenario: the bike is off and parked with the stand down in 1st gear. You reach over and hit the starter switch. If it tries to start you are buying plastic.

The mechanic is trying to be reasonable yet protect himself in today's litigious environment (can't blame him) Either sign the paper or fix the bike, the request is reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
There arn't any mechanical reasons I can think of. It just won't kill the motor if you put it in gear while the kickstand is down. I like that safety feature. It makes sure I don't forget.

I'd be willing to sign a waiver regarding the sidestand position clutch kill switch if I wanted to take the bike home and I was willing to ride it that way. Why wouldn't I? If I forgot the kickstand, knowing full well that it is not working in the normal way, and crash, would I blame the mechanic? No, of course not. I don't see any reason not to sign a specifically targeted waiver saying you wouldn't blame him if you messed up and forgot to raise the kickstand.

On my first several bikes, there were no sidestand interlocks. I went through that one a few times before I stopped forgeting to put it up. Some of you know the drill. You're ok as long as you only make right turns. It's that first left that is the big surprise!

Take care and don't forget your kickstand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Hmmm, Sheepofblue brought up a really good point. If you do take the bike home as is, you'd better make sure to be sitting on it with the clutch in when you start it. Or make sure it's in neutral. Just like the old days, when you had to remember not to do stupid stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,848 Posts
My first bikes didn't have an interlock switch either. It never bothered me. I would ride it like that and sign the waiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Zippy said:
Hmmm, Sheepofblue brought up a really good point. If you do take the bike home as is, you'd better make sure to be sitting on it with the clutch in when you start it. Or make sure it's in neutral. Just like the old days, when you had to remember not to do stupid stuff.
Ok i was puzzled at waht was being said, but i figured it out. This bike is a 954. on my race bike i have no kickstand, my safty switch is zip tied to the lower fairing bracket in the position it would be if the kick stand were up. I have my bike in first gear and i hit the start button and my bike does not lurch :huh: I pull the clutch in and now my bike will start in first gear :thumb: So basically the bike wont lurch if left in gear when you try to start it off the bike with the kick stand down. You need to hold the clutch in for that :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! It appears it doesn't matter now anyway. I like my mechanic, but this whole process has been painful. I'm still likely a few days away from getting it back now. Nearly 3 weeks over due already so I decided to wait until everything comes in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
crazycuRRie said:
Ok i was puzzled at waht was being said, but i figured it out. This bike is a 954. on my race bike i have no kickstand, my safty switch is zip tied to the lower fairing bracket in the position it would be if the kick stand were up. I have my bike in first gear and i hit the start button and my bike does not lurch :huh: I pull the clutch in and now my bike will start in first gear :thumb: So basically the bike wont lurch if left in gear when you try to start it off the bike with the kick stand down. You need to hold the clutch in for that :thumb:

Symonjester said:
Apparently I broke some clutch switch in the handle bar that recognizes if the kick stand down.
This was the reason for my post. :smilebig:

He may still be unable to start the bike while in gear but, with the information posted, I believe that being aware of this possibility is fair warning. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Too many people leave the sidestand on the bike and remove the switch when they are making a 'racebike'. I believe they think the bike will be faster with 4oz. less of switch and wire. All this seems to do is make the crash truck and ambulance go for a ride to the first left turn on the track. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
CBRBob said:
Too many people leave the sidestand on the bike and remove the switch when they are making a 'racebike'. I believe they think the bike will be faster with 4oz. less of switch and wire. All this seems to do is make the crash truck and ambulance go for a ride to the first left turn on the track. :(
The last time I rode the bike I decided to remove some additional weight. You know, to get that extra little bit of power and performance out of it. Here was my winning strategy:

First apply too much rear brake and remove the rider. That should relieve around 200lbs (220 with gear). Then collide with various objects, that will help eliminate the pesky and very heavy plastic around the machine (likely another 15lbs). Then voila! You've got yourself one light machine. :smilebig:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,724 Posts
symonjester said:
The last time I rode the bike I decided to remove some additional weight. You know, to get that extra little bit of power and performance out of it. Here was my winning strategy:

First apply too much rear brake and remove the rider. That should relieve around 200lbs (220 with gear). Then collide with various objects, that will help eliminate the pesky and very heavy plastic around the machine (likely another 15lbs). Then voila! You've got yourself one light machine. :smilebig:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top