Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has sent me a couple of emails lately where he has switched whole words around.  It seems a bit strange and is not something he usually does.  For example, the below.  The switched words are in bold.

This one talking about my dog going up and down the stairs.
Quote He probably thinks you are for running him all the
way down stairs.

This one talking about flying his 1/4 scale P-51 off of my friends field.
Quote I haven't had much stick either time since Mike started his house.

Should I be concerned?  What could cause this?

HD

·
Registered
929 Posts
To me, it just looks like his brain works faster than he types. Regardless...I think he is gonna live through it.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
googolplexu : To me, it just looks like his brain works faster than he types.  Regardless...I think he is gonna live through it.
Yes, to an outsider it would appear that way. For some reason I am concerned this time, as I have been trading emails w/ him for years now and this sort of thing has never happend before. I thought is was weird the first time, but the second time a few days later raised a red flag.

He is not the healthiest guy in the world. Eats poorly, and doesn't exercise enough. Overweight and out of shape.

HD

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thus, could that not have an affect on his physical capabilities to type as fast as he did before?

If he typed the entire sentence backwards I would say he has dyslexia, but since its just a couple words here and there...its doubtful.

Does he do it when talking to you on the phone or in person, or is this restricted to typing only?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Call him on the phone and have a long conversation. Listen for word order, things like slurred words and maybe just a general change in what would be normal conversation between you and him. If you can, visit him. It should be pretty clear if something's up.

I don't want to worry you, and there's not near enough information here, but signs like I mention above are indicative of a stroke.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
luvtolean : Call him on the phone and have a long conversation.  Listen for word order, things like slurred words and maybe just a general change in what would be normal conversation between you and him.  If you can, visit him.  It should be pretty clear if something's up.  

I don't want to worry you, and there's not near enough information here, but signs like I mention above are indicative of a stroke.

Or maybe discreetly ask your mom if she's noticed anything

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
luvtolean : I don't want to worry you, and there's not near enough information here, but signs like I mention above are indicative of a stroke.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. A small one. I doubt it though. I tried to call him last night b/c he had a root canal done and I wanted to see how he was doing, but he was helping his buddy work on his Super Bee (can you say 'Hemi&#39 so I didn't get to speak to him. I'll see him at least on Saturday.

·
Registered
144 Posts
luvtolean : Call him on the phone and have a long conversation.  Listen for word order, things like slurred words and maybe just a general change in what would be normal conversation between you and him.  If you can, visit him.  It should be pretty clear if something's up.  

I agree with LTL, give him a chat and see how he sounds. A visit would probably tell you more. If he's normal on the phone or others who are close to him don't think anything is wrong with him, shine it on to typo.

Good Luck

h8

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would be very careful about this.... being a person who has a dad with issues from being overweight..... (which should be a kick in my balls to get working)

I would be looking at a possible stroke....

or maybe even diabetes...... my dad when his medication doses are wrong does things like this and he has diabetes.....

Hope this helps and let me talk to my wife who is a Nurse and deals with diabetes and etc...

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DEPO : I would be very careful about this.... being a person who has a dad with issues from being overweight..... (which should be a kick in my balls to get working)

I would be looking at a possible stroke....

or maybe even diabetes...... my dad when his medication doses are wrong does things like this and he has diabetes.....

Hope this helps and let me talk to my wife who is a Nurse and deals with diabetes and etc...
Yea, I would appreciate what she has to say. My wife spoke to dad tonight and said that he sounded fine. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but it is pretty weird.

HD

·
Registered
332 Posts
One's lucidity and alertness does tend to fade somewhat with age. My mom is very functional but she sometimes has a hard time following a complex plot line in a movie. When I explain it to her, she gets it, but says maintaining constant mental focus just gets more and more tiring as she gets older, so she just tunes out once in a while.

Could be your dad was just fatigued and lost concentration for a minute?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Supperconductor : One's lucidity and alertness does tend to fade somewhat with age. My mom is very functional but she sometimes has a hard time following a complex plot line in a movie. When I explain it to her, she gets it, but says maintaining constant mental focus just gets more and more tiring as she gets older, so she just tunes out once in a while.

Could be your dad was just fatigued and lost concentration for a minute?
No he's still pretty sharp. He's only 52. He could have been distracted by work. I'll see him tomorrow. Probably nothing.

HD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts