Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just finished installing a Targa fender eliminator on my CBR (061KRR) and was doing a final check when I noticed that the brake lights no longer work.

The fuse is good - the horn and signals still work, and they are on the same circuit.

The taillight is working as well. It just doesn't brighten when I hit the brakes.

Only other thing I've done to this machine is a Scorpion slip-on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't want to ride without brake lights!

·
Registered
81 Posts
did you plug the lights back up when you re-enstalled the rear plastic? Don't laugh I did that once. Maybe even blew a blub.
Did you run the bike any at all after you installed the stuff? I burned through my wires once and had to get a new harness because they were touching the exhaust. Then the wires touched and it shorted out when I hit the brakes. However you would also blow a fuse there.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
the rear break lever should have a little button that it presses, you can make adjustments there to how hard you have to press it in order to get the brake light to come on.... that however shouldn't effect your front brake lever it has a switch of its own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the rear break lever should have a little button that it presses, you can make adjustments there to how hard you have to press it in order to get the brake light to come on.... that however shouldn't effect your front brake lever it has a switch of its own.
I checked on that as well. I'm gonna go trace the harness and look for a burnt or frayed wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there - as another rider mentioned - there is a micro switch in the lever assy - you say you checked it -- how did you check it ? activating it and hearing a small click click may not be enough - you may have to use a multimeter set to ohms and do a continuity test on the switch. i have had many micro switches that appear to be fine and feel fine until tested ( open circuit)

Boc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there - as another rider mentioned - there is a micro switch in the lever assy - you say you checked it -- how did you check it ? activating it and hearing a small click click may not be enough - you may have to use a multimeter set to ohms and do a continuity test on the switch. i have had many micro switches that appear to be fine and feel fine until tested ( open circuit)

Boc
Ah. Gonna have to do that tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah. Gonna have to do that tomorrow. Thanks!

Cool , just let us know how you go - if the switch is fine -- just do power checks all the way up to the switch - make sure you have a multimeter that can do both ac & dc VOLTAGES - and set to DC find your positive, trace from close to battery and up - and use your black probe on a good known earth point on the bike ( maybe even doa continuity test on earth wire ! )

Boc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts