Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help solving an electrical problem.

The problem is with a 1998 Honda VFR 800. The fuel pump does not prime when I turn on the ignition and the bike will not start.

The bike has fuel. The battery is fully charges. All the fuses are ok. The stop engine switch is in the on position the side stand is up and the transmission is in neutral.

All other systems are working properly.

I have followed the self diagnostic procedures for the PGM-FI in the service manual. The malfunction indicator does not flash any error codes.

I have checked the stop engine relay, the fuel cut off relay and the bank angle sensor and they all are working properly according to the specifications in the service manual. Just to make sure I replaced the stop engine relay and the fuel cut off relay for good measure.

When I jump the brown and black/white terminals of the fuel cut relay connector to do the fuel flow inspection the the fuel pump operates normally and the bike will start and run without a problem.

If anyone could point me to a thread or give me some ideas on where to look next it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know the answer to your problem. I bet the people over at VFRworld.com would. Great bunch and total into VFRs. That's where I go with all my VFR questions. The .org is a great site, but not really a VFR site even though they have a section for it. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

The problem is with a 1998 Honda VFR 800. The fuel pump does not prime when I turn on the ignition and the bike will not start.

The bike has fuel. The battery is fully charges. All the fuses are ok. The stop engine switch is in the on position the side stand is up and the transmission is in neutral.

I have followed the self diagnostic procedures for the PGM-FI in the service manual. The malfunction indicator does not flash any error codes.

I have checked the stop engine relay, the fuel cut off relay and the bank angle sensor and they all are working properly according to the specifications in the service manual. Just to make sure I replaced the stop engine relay and the fuel cut off relay for good measure.

When I jump the brown and black/white terminals of the fuel cut relay connector to do the fuel flow inspection the the fuel pump operates normally and the bike will start and run without a problem.

If anyone could point me to a thread or give me some ideas on where to look next it would be appreciated.

Kill switch perhaps?
Do you use the kill switch instead of the ignition key to kill the engine?

·
Registered
394 Posts
When you turn on the ignition do you hear the fuel cut relay click? have you swapped out the relay for one of the other ones to test its validity.
The brown/black wire on the fuel cut off relay goes to the ECM, did you check to see if there is a reference voltage at this wire.
The black white wire on the fuel cut relay goes to the PAIR valve, O2 sensors, injectors, air filter solenoid and engine stop relay,, BUT it also goes to the engine stop relay.
You have confirmed the fuel pump motor circuit works when bypassed at the relay, so now you need to confirm if its getting a voltage supply to its contactor coil.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I would give my right arm for the answer to this problem if it has been found.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having somewhat similar problem, changed ignition out fuel pump won't prime, put old ignition back works fine. Mind boggled

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,308 Posts
Having somewhat similar problem, changed ignition out fuel pump won't prime, put old ignition back works fine. Mind boggled
If you bought a generic ignition it’s probably missing a Zener Diode to tell the ECU to spark/prime etc. eBay/China knock offs don’t have the diode.

Compare them underneath the bottom cover. OEM is on the left with the pink wire. (This is a generic picture, probably from a 900RR or 929). The VFR is probably similar.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Rim

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,308 Posts
Wouldn't happen to have a link to order from. They said discontinued selling for that year in ca
OEM new are not available anymore. You’ll have to search for used ones. You can try and fit a new Zener Diode to your old one. I did on my 99 tracked 900RR. Bought a set of 5 or so from Amazon. I think they were 3.7V .5W Zener Diode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts