Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys heres the deal. my buddy and i were ****in around on 60 goin to vero beach this weekend and i guess i ran low on oil at about 180 and the bike has been making the loud tapping sound between 3k and 4500roms since. plus everytime i go into idle stop the oil light comes on and i added two quarts to it on the way to the beach after it started making the noise. a buddy said he thought it could be a spun bearing and bad oil pump. what do u think and where can i pick up whatever parts i need? i have an 01 900rr

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The first thing you need to do is an oil pressure test.
If you have low pressure then a spun bearing is very likely.
Replacment will require opening the engine up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tks i can use all the help or advice u guys have i have been doing the car thing since forever so if anyone needs anything for their "not so quick ride" then i got hookups at titan motorsports

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you spun a bearing I have bad news my friend :crap: . A spun bearing you can replace but with the high rpm engines replaccing it is only going to be a temp fix. When it comes down to it your gonna need a new crank shaft cause when you spin a bearing and replace it the new one will not hold as strong as the first because it more than likely made marks in the crank your best bet it to just get a new engine and drop it in.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
This is not strictly correct.
You can spin a rod bearing without damaging the crank at all if you catch it quickly enough.
If the bearing clearance has opened up enough to hear the knocking then it's likely the crank is damaged but there are several repair options before you need to replace the crank.
Regardless of how you fix it you must measure up the oil clearances during reassembly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is correct i should have been more spec when I posted how ever unles i read his post wrong toing 18 and the slowing down and hearing the knock probably isn't a good way to find it. Regardless if you do take it apart have I would have a machine shop check it before replacing anything.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I see your point.
If he means he ran low on oil at 180mph then the crank is probably not good :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts