Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some serious electrical issues. My bike just blows the FI/Ign fuse while riding for no reason at all. Took it to the shop, and they couldnt figure it out . I spent $360 for nothing.......So, Today, I opened the service manual, and printed out the wiring diagram. Before I started chasing wires, I noticed that what the wiring diagram displayed, and what my fusebox said were totally different. WTF? Here is what I have. Could someone remove their seat and see if you have the same setup as me. My fuse box, from top to bottom says:

10A ind, meter, tail, illum
10 turn, stop, horn
20 H/light
10 Start
20 FI/Ign
20 Clock, fan

The wiring diagram says:

from a-f
20 Headlights
10 neutral, oil, tempmeter, tach,speedometer, position,horn, meter light, taillight
10 turn signal, front/rear brake light
10 ignition/starter
20 clock/fan motor
20 FI

Is this the right diagram, or is my bike different from everyone elses? I need a good start point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
WOW!!! i never noticed that before. Mine is the same way. I do know that the fuse labelled FI/IGN is the right fuse for the fuel pump. If I pull it on my bike the Fuel pump does not start up with the switch. Without a proper diagram, it is hard to tell, but I bet it's the pump. if it has a partial short it can cause a high current draw. you also may have a clogged fuel filter which causes the pump to load up and draw excess current. I won't guarantee this is your problem, but if you have an OHM meter, and a buddy with the same bike, ohm the pumps out. they should be within a few ohms of each other. You may be able to get the exact OHM reading from the dealer. I would be willing to bet that you have a pump with low resistance, causing excessive current draw. Like I said though, it could be anything on the circuit. You could also have a wire with a bare spot touching the frame or engine.

In other words It could be anything!!!! fine bunch of help I am huh?

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its all good brother. I am open to all suggestions. Let me tell you this though. I can start the bike fine at any given time. Once I ride for a good few mins, at 45mph or so, the fuse blows. If I change it, it will blow again befor I travel a mile. The first time this happened, it came from a hard landing during a wheelie. The second time was rolling over some pretty big bumps in the road. Now, it just happens everytime I ride, for no reason at all. Still thinking the fuel pump? I have shaken wires like crazy, and found nothing. I wanted to test wires, but that inacurate diagram threw me off. Im thinking it could be something in the ignition. I get no error codes or nothing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
that deifinately sounds like something is loose. As far as what?:idunno: on a relatively small electrical system like a bike, you should be able to manually trace the wires out and do some OHM testing. If you don't have a multi-meter, you should get one. They are well worth the money you pay for them. I bet that a good electrician could find the problem in an hour or less. Don't know how to help you from here though. Did you try the dealer to see if you can get a better wiring diagram?

Tell you what, you pay for my ticket out there and I'll come look at it. won't even charge you...

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
You got a short somewhere...either a connection or bare wire.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tell you what, you pay for my ticket out there and I'll come look at it. won't even charge you...
Lol, Cute. I figure its a loose wire somewhere, and thats why I was looking at the diagram, to see where I was gonna start chasing the wires. Its not but a few bike shops here in Hawaii. Im gonna have to call somewhere like Ga or something. Thanks for all help. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my fuses are the same. . . sounds like a loose connection to me, im also having a problem w/ mine. When i turn the key on the fuel pump or headlights wont come on??? any ideas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts