Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting the grass and I had the motorcycle key with me. It fell out of my pocket and was eaten up by the blades of the lawn mower. I have only one key, so I need to buy a new ignition system.

How much would it cost me, approximately?

I'm so mad at myself!!!!:mad: :rant: :mad: :rant:

Please help!

·
Banned
543 Posts
I don't think you need the whole ignition system. I have changed the sliders inside the locks on Honda cars. It's a little tricky the first time. The whole thing should come apart, then you can re-key it and make a spare;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you need the whole ignition system. I have changed the sliders inside the locks on Honda cars. It's a little tricky the first time. The whole thing should come apart, then you can re-key it and make a spare;)
Could you please explain how I would go about on doing that?

Thanks A Ton

·
Registered
757 Posts
Not sure whether it works the same way with bikes as with cars but I've heard that with cars, if you lose your keys, you can call the dealer, give them the VIN and they can cut you a key. :idunno: would be worth the 5 minute phone call to find out, though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as Italgirl. As for cars, semi's, and heavy equipment all you do is----go to the honda dealer with proof of ownership/ ie. Title, and the parts guys should be able to cut you the original key. But remember most parts guys are dueche bags, so they'll probably screw with you and try to sell you the ignition system. Don't let them F**k with you.
:pimpslap:

·
Banned
543 Posts
Just don't work on it if you are losing your patience. Italgirl has a good idea, if they don't have access to a key code for you, ask them if they can give you any info on how to take it apart. Dealers usually have keys and sliders for repairing locks. The Honda car dealer where I live just gives the sliders away. Destroying the cylinder should be an absolute last resort because they are pricey. Check out this link It shows how this goes together, anticipate that it will be a bit more complicated than the diagram shows.

Ron Ayers Motorsports - Discount Motorcycle Parts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ohh girl you hush!!!! I figuered out how to use my phone here at work--Yeeeaaaah. So it's cheap for me to call back in the states. And for a fellow Minnesotain I can do alill-sum-sum for.
:patriot:

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Remove the entire ignition switch assembly, take that, your vehicle title, and I.D. with you to a Honda dealer. The ignition switch assembly has a number engraved on it that corresponds to the key cut.

You'll need a TorX socket ( size T-40 or T-45) tool to remove the switch assembly. A hardware store will have the tool.

·
Banned
543 Posts
Remove the entire ignition switch assembly, take that, your vehicle title, and I.D. with you to a Honda dealer. The ignition switch assembly has a number engraved on it that corresponds to the key cut.
That would be similar to their cars. Cars have it on the passenger door lock cylinder sometimes. I did not consider this possibility for the bikes. I usually work on locks that have keys but are worn out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BUT!!!

What if I have the steering column locked? :idunno:

I really like Italgirl1971's idea. Thanks for your very helpful input. :thumb: I'll try to see if my local Honda dealer could do that for me.

Recalling old memories,....how can be so STUPID!!!!!!!!!:rant:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was cutting the grass and I had the motorcycle key with me. It fell out of my pocket and was eaten up by the blades of the lawn mower. I have only one key, so I need to buy a new ignition system.

How much would it cost me, approximately?

I'm so mad at myself!!!!:mad: :rant: :mad: :rant:

Please help!
I guess the lesson behind this is if you're not using your bike, keep the keys in the house. :hmm:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts