Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on friend's bike:
2003 600RR

Just bought the bike and the guy he bought it from said he had water in the coolant because it was a track bike, went to flush out the coolant tonight and the reservoir was bone dry. Don't know how long its been that way (friend has only put 22 miles on the bike). We flushed the reservoir and added coolant. How bad is it that it ran without coolant? After putting new coolant in we started the bike but don't see it cycling, how long does it take before it starts cycling?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, since he has had the bike it hasn't been reved up at all, he is just learning how to ride it still

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, we filled it between the lines and we are going to make him ride the bike and flush it out a couple more times. Is the worst case scenario that he burnt up the water pump?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm worried because the there was NO coolant of any type in the bike when we went to change it from water to antifreeze. The guy told us there was water in it, which is fine, but when we went to put antifreeze in it instead (live in Wyoming, night temps are already gettin down below freezeing) and when we pulled the fairing off the reservoir was totally dry, i.e., no coolant of any type in the bike
So i'm thinkin maybe the water pump got burnt up because there was nothing running through it

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when we added the coolant we ran it up to about 220 (highest temp we could get it) but could not see any coolant cycling in the res., just a couple bubbles comin out of the lower hose in the res. not blowing white smoke. Will check the oil in the next couple days (snowing here, so, not going to be runnin it anytime soon)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just because there was no water or coolant in the reservior, doesn't mean the motor was dry inside. It may have been low, but probably still had some water or coolant in it. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts