Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is coming and I need to do some maintenance on my cbr 929
I need some advice
1. oil viscosity; now I use Motul 300v 10w40 full synthetic and found a good deel for Motorex 10W50 full synthetic. Should i stick to 10w40 or change it ? Summer is 30 C (86 F) here.
2. Air Filter ; I Use a stock OEM filter now, and found a good deel for a "K & N" air filter, as well as for oil filter, OEM vs K & N. Should i go with K&N ?

Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
1. I would stick to 10/40 if I were you as thats what I run. There is nothing wrong with running 10/50 I'd imagine, just a smidge "thicker".

2.0. People around here love the OEM air filters. They flow very well and protect well. I have a K&N because it came with the bike. Its not bad, I don't have to change it though which I like (just clean with the kit).

2.5. Oil filter; I don't think it will really matter much. I have used K&N and various other brands and no problems. It's not like you are going to be running the piss out of the bike for 5000 miles before the next change.. (Even if you were it probably still wouldn't matter)

I am now strictly an Amsoil guy, but that is personal preference I guess. :thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard only good things about Amsoil
unfortunately is not available in Romania
what do you used before Amsoil ?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
The flow rates of the OEM air filter is better matched to the fuel map in the ECU. The K&N flows a little to well, at lower rpms you could be running a little lean. That was the findings for a guy who dyno tested OEM vs K&N.

Watch out for those multi weight oils that go to 50. I've found some of them claim to be engineered for the air cooled twins, like a Harley or a Road Star. Those are cruiser bikes and their engine tolerances aren't as tight as our sportbikes. I tried a 20-50 once and my bike didn't shift very well at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts