Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me Chain...but the Focus has got to go. ~1,700 miles left on the warranty and with the problems I've had with it, I'm not taking chances.

Here are some of the specifics:

1) Can't be a Ford product or any subsidy
2) Don't really care for GM or Chrysler either
3) Needs to be fuel efficient(better than 25mpg avg - I drive 25-30k/yr)
4) Prefer 4 door with enough trunk space for some camping gear - wagon/hatchback would be ideal
5) Has to come in a 5spd.

Two vehicles that I keep coming back around to are the Civic and an Impreza. Not a huge fan of the new style Civic, and used ones are very hard to find. Imprezas are even harder to find used.

What others would fit the bill?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
4) Prefer 4 door with enough trunk space for some camping gear - wagon/hatchback would be ideal

Two vehicles that I keep coming back around to are the Civic[/quote]
I got the car for you it is a 1999 Acura 1.6EL - Basically a Civic with Leather and a sun roof.

I am Asking $11K CND

Attachments

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The older Accord's I'd be fine with. Not really interested in a truck at the moment as I really don't have a need for one.

I know I know about the Ford thing.....but the Mazda 3 (hatch would probably be best for ya though the sedan has a decent trunk) would fit you very nicely.
:nono:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I like my Vibe (Pontiac but there is a Toyota version) I get about 30-1MPG and the form factor is great. So far I have no issues on reliability with 60K miles. Oh and you can get a blower kit from Pontiac :huh:

EDIT: and it is slower than slow so not a lot of chances for tickets unless you keep it pinned

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
There are the new Honda Fit and Nissan Versa, also in the same class as the Civic are the Sentra, Corolla and Lancer. Then there are the Scion xA and tC (not the xB - that thing is uglier than Steggy's ass). Also the Matrix.
The new Hyundais and Kias are actually holding up fairly well, especially considering how cheap they are. Not a bad mid-term inexpensive transportation choice.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Two vehicles that I keep coming back around to are the Civic
I got the car for you it is a 1999 Acura 1.6EL - Basically a Civic with Leather and a sun roof.

I am Asking $11K CND
Only problem is getting rid of my car...there's no way I'll be able to sell it privately. I'm taking a bath doing this for sure.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I agree that Sheep's car is worth a look. I rented one and it wasn't bad. Didn't quite get 30MPG in it, but we have lots of hills out here.

Civic, Accord, or Acura sounds like a better fit. You can find Imprezas used...you just might end up having it shipped.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I have this great 85 Monte Carlo SS you can have for $600 with the headers (those are over $400 themselves) $400 without them. The bottom is custom done in rust. I'll throw in everything you need to convert it to a 5 speed (except the cutting of the driveshaft) for another grand. gets 12mpg with a gas leak. fix that, freshen up the engine and throw the 5 speed in and you should be close to 20mpg if not more.

but to be really no topic, you can't find a civic out there? dime a dozen here. only problem is finding one where there isn't too much dumb shit that needs to eb taken off.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
My kids have a Vibe. It's safe, reliable, and relatively cheap to drive. They handle teenager wear n' tear pretty good, too...

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Matrix I didn't think of. I've thought about the Sentra as well. At this point I'm trying to find a used one, and they really aren't around. Kia and Hyundai are sort of at the bottom of the list. Not outruling them, but I'd rather look at others. The only Scion that looks decent is the Tc, which doesn't really fit what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Actually, if the budget allows, I was going to recommend the A3, we looked at it real hard and I am a fan.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
For a bit bigger car, Nissan Murano...or maybe a cheap used Infiniti FX35.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know it's estrogen-injected but we have a Saturn Vue that gets about 28 mpg (with the Honda V6) and have had no warranty issues at all in the 2.5 years of ownership. I think it's the best kept secret out there.

As for the Audi - after the warranty and included scheduled maintenance has expired, you either need deep pockets or a good toolbox. I've got a '99 A4 with 69k on the clock and, while I love it, it can be pretty pricey if you don't do your own work. Example: Timing belt needs to be changed every 65k - 70k and the dealer will rape you to the tune of about $1,200. I spent $250 in parts and 6 hours in my garage and did it myself just on principle.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A buddy just had a Vue blow it's timing chain with no warning. He doesn't know if the motor is toast yet. 80k on the odo...no thanks.

Looked up the Matrix and there seems to be quite a few of them for sale used, priced very well.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Call me Chain...but the Focus has got to go. ~1,700 miles left on the warranty and with the problems I've had with it, I'm not taking chances.

Here are some of the specifics:

1) Can't be a Ford product or any subsidy
2) Don't really care for GM or Chrysler either

Two vehicles that I keep coming back around to are the Civic and an Impreza. Not a huge fan of the new style Civic, and used ones are very hard to find. Imprezas are even harder to find used.

What others would fit the bill?
I just traded my 2004 WRX Wagon to my dad's dealership in Flemington NJ. 25,000 miles on it. 5-speed, loaded, black interior. Awesome car, only got rid of it to pick up my truck.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I like my Vibe (Pontiac but there is a Toyota version)
The Vibe is a Toyota.

My kids have a Vibe. It's safe, reliable, and relatively cheap to drive. They handle teenager wear n' tear pretty good, too...
Definitely a great choice.

A buddy just had a Vue blow it's timing chain with no warning. He doesn't know if the motor is toast yet. 80k on the odo...no thanks.
Then he didn't have the Honda-engined version... Honda V6s have timing belts.
nd4spd said:
Looked up the Matrix and there seems to be quite a few of them for sale used, priced very well.
Again, great choice.

Personally, I'd take a Fit Sport, hands down.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts