Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Hmmm, not a brake guru here, but does this concept make sense? Or is it total BS? At any rate, I always appreciate 'thinking outside the envelope'. Somebody on the forum must have some intelligent input.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bacchus : Hmmm, not a brake guru here, but does this concept make sense?  Or is it total BS?  At any rate, I always appreciate 'thinking outside the envelope'.  Somebody on the forum must have some intelligent input.
The added braking power is a plus....but I think the main advantage is the reduction in inertia. Kawi was testing these awhile back (I'm sure others too)
I'll dig up the link....

EDIT:
Well....I can't find the link...pretty sure it was a 2002 bike. Almost positive it was a Kawasaki because the technology came from their aircraft division where stacked brakes are the norm....

Bueller....anyone....?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Seems like some 954 in britain was getting those last year. I remember seeing them in performance bikes...

Yeah, benefit is you get the same or better braking performance without the rotating mass... The closer the mass is to the axis of rotation, the easier a change in direction can happen...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I agree with the last two posts. It isn't so much that the braking power is so much stronger. It's that the rotating mass is reduced considerably and at a smaller diameter. Great idea. Lets see who uses it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The motopower firehawk 954 has the same beringer setup, motorcyclist did a lengthy write up on the firehawk. Evidently
the setup is lighter and since the rotors are only 210mm the gyroscopic mass is reduced. In turn handling is greatly benefited. The actual stopping power is'nt really any better than the stock set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts