Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 cbr900 that is due for new chain and sprockets. I am looking for any advice or experiences that anyone has had with different chain brands or sprockets. Here is what I have decided so far.
I debated going for the 520 conversion, but feel that I do not need any more power, and would rather have the extra durability and life of a 530.
For the rear sprocket, I think I am going for the Supersprox aluminum/steel sproket, with +1 gearing. I know this contradicts what I just said about needing more power, so why would I go for a lighter rear sprocket? Mainly because the Supersprox looks really cool, but still gives the durability of a steel sprocket. Front sprocket will be stock size, steel obviously.
What I am unsure about is the chain. What brand to go with? For sure I want an o-ring (or x-ring) because I don't have the discipline to maintain a non o-ring chain, but other than that, I am unsure.
Lets hear your opinions on chain brands.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
First, neither a 520 chain or a light weight rear sprocket give you more power. However they both do reduce weight and easier for the engine to spin up the less mass. It also helps your rear suspension because it reduces your unsprung weight.

I feel sticking to a 530 chain is best as well unless you race. I went with a +2 rear AFAM sprocket which is considered very durable compared to Vortex and so on. Not sure about Supersprox.

Any good name brand chain is good but I went with a Gold DID 530VM. It's in my garage now waiting to be put on this winter. Can get them on Ebay quite cheap.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
First, neither a 520 chain or a light weight rear sprocket give you more power. However they both do reduce weight and easier for the engine to spin up the less mass.
Reducing the mass in the driveline does give you more power at the tyre, not at the engine though of course. I doubt it's a measurable difference though. Simply fitting new chain and sprockets will also give you more power than worn items.
Changing the gearing though doesn't alter the power output, it merely changes the relationship between engine speed and road speed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should have been more clear. I know that a lighter chain and sprocket doesn't give you more power per se, but like bladeracer stated, it reduces your rotational mass, which allows more power to go into accelerating the bike instead of the chain and sprocket.
DID is a brand I will consider, along with Tsubaki and RK. Does anyone have a preference of one of these over the other? I'm sure that regardless of what I buy, I will not notice the difference between brands, and all brands will be fine. Just want to hear if there are any horror stories about chains breaking after 100kms or so.

·
Registered
420 Posts
ive fitted the driven 520 conversion kit to my bike from motomummy, great price too, u can opt for any color chain and rear sprocket also. they use the top of the line rk chain, and ive used driven products before and they are top notch....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts