Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 cbr900rr that I LOVE!!!! I have about 25k on the ODO and have only had it since winter. I have only put about a grand on it since I got it, but it was pretty much an instant love affair. I still have the 99VFR800fi which my wife claimed as her own.

Anyway, I have had a brake shudder that is more pronounced when the brakes are hot. The shudder is nerve wracking but manageable at speed but lower speeds and parking lot it is way to grabby. I find I am relying on the rear brake too much to avoid the irritation. If you think I should be looking elsewhere than a warped rotor, please let me know.

What years/models can I draw from for a set of less expensive new or used rotors? I am not closed to the idea of a set of the Hong Kong rotors on ebay, and I don't want to fan the flames of a debate... I am an informed consentor :thumb:

I have to do rotors, new front tire (to match the new rear), fluids and I need some bike jacks or whatever you call it... a suggestion here would also be appreciated.

This is my first post here, be gentle :rotfl:

JP

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Anyway, I have had a brake shudder that is more pronounced when the brakes are hot. The shudder is nerve wracking but manageable at speed but lower speeds and parking lot it is way to grabby. I find I am relying on the rear brake too much to avoid the irritation. If you think I should be looking elsewhere than a warped rotor, please let me know.
If you lift the front and spin the wheel is there any drag?
How about when you've just done some hard stops?
Are there any dark blue patches on the rotor that might indicate glazing or burning?
When you spin the wheel can you hear a rythmic "clicking" indicating the rotors have high spots that are touching the pads?
How old is the fluid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good questions. I don't have a jack so I can get the front wheel off the ground to try that. The fluid looks old because it's kind of brown dark, that's why I'm flushing it.

I will take a look at the rotor and see if there are any burn marks.

Thanks for your quick reply!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The fluid looks old because it's kind of brown dark, that's why I'm flushing it.
Colour is meaningless. There are lots of different colours and if you mix them then you get even more :)
Replace the fluid every year as well as anytime you boil it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts