Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saturday i charged for my battery 2 hours and sunday it charged for 12 hours. after the first charge Sat it started up fine 3 times and forth it wouldn't. Now today after it was charged i started up about 13 to 14 times (not all back to back) them on the last one it didnt, its like it rested because i clock when back to 1:00. After it would not start and got the "click...click..click" sound i look at the lights and see a very light flicker. I have a 08 honda cbr 600rr. Can someone help me find the issue to fix?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
How many times do you ride the bike in a day that you need to start it up 14 times..

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
saturday i charged for my battery 2 hours and sunday it charged for 12 hours. after the first charge Sat it started up fine 3 times and forth it wouldn't. Now today after it was charged i started up about 13 to 14 times (not all back to back) them on the last one it didnt, its like it rested because i clock when back to 1:00. After it would not start and got the "click...click..click" sound i look at the lights and see a very light flicker. I have a 08 honda cbr 600rr. Can someone help me find the issue to fix?

Have you checked the voltage across the battery when it's running?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
How many times do you ride the bike in a day that you need to start it up 14 times..

Hmmm...fourteen times perhaps?
I've had days busier than that :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bladeracer - i have not dont so. Im a new rider and still learning a few things. Is that where im testing the amps to see if its over 13.5 - 14.5?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have not dont so. Im a new rider and still learning a few things. Is that where im testing the amps to see if its over 13.5 - 14.5?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
You're testing the volts.
I don't know the specs for your bike, but someone will.
You're trying to determine if your charging system is working properly, and if you have enough cranking power left in the battery.
How old is your battery? and how hot is the weather? cause in excess of 95 -100 degrees F is really hard on any battery.

Using a multimeter to test the battery, I would write down the voltage in these three situations: 1)bike not running, 2)during start, 3)and when running at fast idle. Then find the specs for your bike and compare the numbers. That will help determine the state of your battery.

If the battery checks out ok, then start looking a little deeper in the charging system.

You checked for any possible loose connections right? That simple stuff can do crazy things...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what it seems like, after a few cracks it starts to go flat. im in Fl, but i been keeping the bike inside the house.
the battery came with the bike, so i have no idea, but i want to say not that long the bike only has 2k miles. i did get the battery tested and it showed good, but needed a charge. i havent checked for any loose connections, but i will.

thank you, ill check it out and post it.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Thats what it seems like, after a few cracks it starts to go flat. im in Fl, but i been keeping the bike inside the house.
the battery came with the bike, so i have no idea, but i want to say not that long the bike only has 2k miles. i did get the battery tested and it showed good, but needed a charge. i havent checked for any loose connections, but i will.

thank you, ill check it out and post it.
Did they check the level of *cold cranking amps*? I don't know how to test for that, but if the level is below ~60% compared to brand new, I would get a new battery.
The age of the battery may not be an indicator. Whether is 6 days old, or 6 years old, if someone's left the key on a couple times, and completely depleated the battery, it's probably toast. Add hot weather and the demand is higher on the battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I just took the battery to test it for the second time and charge it for the 3rd, but this time it said the battery was no good. So Friday I'm going to get a new one and see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Thanks big time, I hope that's it. Would you know a good brand of battery?
I don't know much about all the batterys out there. I just stick with the OEM brand Yuasa. I usually pay around 100 to $120.
Here's the thing about traditional lead batterys: if they're made of 100% new lead, which I'm told Yuasa are, that's what you want. The cheaper batteries contain some recycled lead. Especially the cheapie WalMart batteries. And the purity of the lead is important too.
Ask your battery guy specifically how much recycled lead the battery contains, and what is the failure rate of that brand. For instance, Optima Batteries used to have the best failure rate, only about 3%. Then around 2008, something changed in their manufacture, and it jumped to over 7%.
I've known my battery guy a long time, he told me about this recently.
Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts