Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just looking for personal experiences with quality, racing, gauntlet style gloves. Had a pair of old ass Olympia's that are now in a cornfield somewhere. They did the job, all be it not very well.

Looking for something extremely comfortable. I've found that the carbon knuckled ones are just too tight (carbon across all knuckles). I usually wear a size XL glove, sometimes XXL. Tried some Teknic's but they were just too damn tight, as in painfully tight after an hour's worth of riding. Not too many companies make XXXL and from what I hear the Astars run real tight also. I'd prefer a split-knuckle protector (not one piece all the way across), and something to fit these hands, offer good protection, easy reach for the levers etc. etc. etc.

thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
My personal favorites are Held gloves. I have the Galaxy, which does have the carbon knuckles, but they are comfy. Intersport West is the US distributor. Actually, I believe Sportbike Tracktime has become a sponsor of this site, and they have good prices on some of the models. Looks like their new kevlar racing model doesn't have hard knuckles, and the Profi racing glove doesn't either.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
<--- Helds & Alpinestars.... :nod:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Held eh? I think the Astars would be too small, if they're anything like teknic. Think I just need to find a retailer with a good exchange policy. Trial and error baby, that's what it's all about.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Scratch said:
Any particular model? Links? Pics? Places to buy?

heheh, sorry for all the questions

:eek:

I posted a link to Intersports West above, and mentioned checking with Sportbike Track Time
Also above: Galaxy and Akira (both have carbon knuckles). Ones without are the Profi and a new Kevlar race. These are all track-oriented, so they don't have any Gortex or anything. Held has other touring models as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HondaGalToo said:
I posted a link to Intersports West above, and mentioned checking with Sportbike Track Time
Also above: Galaxy and Akira (both have carbon knuckles). Ones without are the Profi and a new Kevlar race. These are all track-oriented, so they don't have any Gortex or anything. Held has other touring models as well.

Oops sorry forgot to click on it (buzzed). Checking 'em out now...

Decisons decisions... Why can't the local shop have every make, model, and size available to try on?? :huh: doh!

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Scratch said:
Oops sorry forgot to click on it (buzzed). Checking 'em out now...

Decisons decisions... Why can't the local shop have every make, model, and size available to try on?? :huh: doh!
:alcohol: :cheers2: :cheers:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HondaGalToo said:
:alcohol: :cheers2: :cheers:

Roll out the barrel!! :p

:bday: :cheers2: :knockout:

gonna feel this one in the morning, man I spell surprisingly well :clap:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
For comfort and crash worthiness (*ahem*), I'm a die hard Joe Rocket fan (decent on the pocket book too. :thumb: ).

I don't know how they hold up on the old alligator skin (track), though they make track specific models.

·
Registered
998 Posts
As the rest of my gear is alpinestar Im already biased towards them until Itried on a pair of Teknic gloves (sorry cant remember the exact model) but they were by far the most comfortable gloves I have tried on! and looked good to boot! :D

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Kushitani! I have a pair of A* GP Plus right now and they're great! However, after trying on a pair of Kushitani's, I'm certain that it will be my next glove. Send a PM to Trackoholic as he's a dealer for them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow thanks, great responses and suggestions all around. I've seen the Kushitani's on websites but don't know anyone that has a pair personally. Would love to try 'em on.

This is kind of subjective, like many things in regards to bikes, personal preference seems to play a big role as everyone is different. And so are their hands.

I'm going to take a drive over to one of the larger dealerships in the Chicagoland area and basically try on everything they've got, for starters. I liked the Teknics but the XXL was a little tight and even after wearing them about for a bit and riding in them they still hurt my hands pretty bad, couldn't wait to get them off after a ride or during a pit stop. I hear the Astars run about the same sizing, a little on the smaller side. I know leather stretches but I do need 'em a bit bigger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The HELD gloves have been popular with many of my fellow BMW riders. Unfortunately, we've seen a number of them blow apart at the seems with relatively low-speed crashes.

I've had a pair of Olympias come apart and have seen Technic products of all sorts come apart when I didn't think they should have.

I'm on my second pair of A*s GP plus. The first pair went 50,000 miles of touring and track days including a lot of rain and a 70 mph crash.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts