Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Guys,
I am looking for best quality OBD USB based universal scanner for motorcycles...Please suggest me any or if you have any link then let me know...:confused:
Can you explain what an OBD USB based universal scanner is/does?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i tried to hunt scanner. but all the time i found car scanner. and i don't want handheld for sure..so i heard that usb based is better which can get upgrade very easily. and laptop is better option than handheld scanner. so i heard that the scanner is USB and can be attached to the laptop. correct me if i m wrong coz i m new to this.
i may be wrong in understanding the scanner tool..coz till now i have used nothing. All i worked on indian motorcycles which are not ECM based. so my knowledge is bit low.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
actually i tried to hunt scanner. but all the time i found car scanner. and i don't want handheld for sure..so i heard that usb based is better which can get upgrade very easily. and laptop is better option than handheld scanner. so i heard that the scanner is USB and can be attached to the laptop. correct me if i m wrong coz i m new to this.
i may be wrong in understanding the scanner tool..coz till now i have used nothing. All i worked on indian motorcycles which are not ECM based. so my knowledge is bit low.
Are you talking about a radio scanner or some kind of tool for pulling information from the ECU?
I'm not aware of anything that will pull data from the ECU but the Dynojet Wideband Commander offers data logging for fuel management.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
through the given connector.
any bike which has ECM.
it is only if there is any malfunction in the bike and to check the fault code.

i want it for repairing purpose.
I'm not aware of any "given connector" although it may be possible that some bikes have such a thing.
I don't think there is such a device that will fit different bikes.
Honda has an ECU diagnostics device but as far as I know it's only available to authorised dealers - and it's so expensive that very few dealers have it. I believe you remove the ECU from the bike and connect it to the device and then connect the device into the ECU connectors of the bike's harness.
To pull fault codes most bikes have a diagnostics connector that you bridge and codes are displayed on the bike's dash.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
in the pic. the connector is coming with the device which connects to the ECU, right?
In the pic you posted from ARC-MART, no there is no connector that will connect to any ECU I've seen. It appears to simply have serial and USB ports?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so u mean to say this is mapper not scanner?

by the way I heard only yamaha sho ws the fault code in dash, right? or toerh bikes can too?
n what about Yamaha R125, does this bike either shows the code in dash? coz here in India we have YamahaR15 which shows nothing but only bliking light jsut incase if there is any malfunction.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
so u mean to say i tis mapper not scanner?
That depends on exactly what you mean by "scanner".
All it does is record throttle position, air/fuel ratio. engine RPM and other data that you can then adjust to optimise your fuel mapping.
For diagnostics all vehicles I've worked on (which is not a wide range) have in-built diagnosis by bridging a connector and counting beeps and/or flashing codes on the dash.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
so u mean to say this is mapper not scanner?

by the way I heard only yamaha sho ws the fault code in dash, right? or toerh bikes can too?
n what about Yamaha R125, does this bike either shows the code in dash? coz here in India we have YamahaR15 which shows nothing but only bliking light jsut incase if there is any malfunction.
Yes, other bikes use error codes on the dash.
I will have to research the R125 as I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh, so in straight u mean to say i don't need to buy scanner, right? so i just need the fualt code data sheet in my hand n should know the beep or flash to find the cause. right?

sorry for wrong writing...my keyboard is messed up due to tea.,

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
oh, so in straight u mean to say i don't need to buy scanner, right? so i just need the fualt code data sheet in my hand n should know the beep or flash to find the cause. right?
Interesting bike :)
YZF-R125 | Yamaha Motor Australia

Yes, you should simply be able to use the error codes listed in the workshop manual. The error codes only relate to the fuel injection system and its sensors so it won't diagnose non-FI problems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh..cool. so my problem sorted out. coz i have collected enough of manuals for repairing purpose. hey tx for all the help. so now i just have to understand the flash.

well check R15 also she is DNA of R1. and FZ16 DNA of FZ1

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i have sourced the FIDT for R15 from official channel. so i don't want to buy that. i have worked on that DT long time back.... I m more interested in SBK DT. but as u say that all the codes are there on dash..so i think no need to buy it. but hey wot if i want to change the fuel mixture, then i need that mapper which i showed u right?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.