Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

know this sounds odd but i need a picture of the fuel cut relay connector. i took all the connectors out and cant remember where they go! i need a picture so i can double check my orientation! don't wanna fry the 5v circuit in the ecu (again!)

it's the connector with 2 black/white wires, 1 brown, 1 brown/black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
know somebody can go out there and lift up there seat to take a pic, please...

it's right there by the ecu/cdi/pgm-fi box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, it's an '01 929rr US 49 state model w/out HISS. ecu code 38770-mcj-671.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
hi all,

know this sounds odd but i need a picture of the fuel cut relay connector. i took all the connectors out and cant remember where they go! i need a picture so i can double check my orientation! don't wanna fry the 5v circuit in the ecu (again!)

it's the connector with 2 black/white wires, 1 brown, 1 brown/black.

Did you check the wiring diagram?
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/honda-fireblade/43475d1277526038-929-954-wiring-diagrams-929wiringdiagramuscanada.jpg
Put 12V into the relay trying various pins until you hear the relay close - those two pins are the low-load circuit - Black/White and Brown.
The remaining two pins will only have continuity through them when the relay has voltage through it - those two are the high-load circuit that runs the pump - Black/White and Brown/Black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you check the wiring diagram?
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/honda-fireblade/43475d1277526038-929-954-wiring-diagrams-929wiringdiagramuscanada.jpg
Put 12V into the relay trying various pins until you hear the relay close - those two pins are the low-load circuit - Black/White and Brown.
The remaining two pins will only have continuity through them when the relay has voltage through it - those two are the high-load circuit that runs the pump - Black/White and Brown/Black.
see this is why i wanted a picture. you've got it backwards brown/black is the 5v ecu trigger wire NOT the 12v to the fuel pump. you'd have me fryin another ecu!!! wtf blade?

the testing advice is sound though blade good call. thats what im gonna do, just with the correct wire colors. thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that wiring diagram sucks too. the esize diagram on here is way better even though its not in color.

edit: sorry, i've spent the last week in 929 diagrams and this relay in particular. too much caffine!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
see this is why i wanted a picture. you've got it backwards brown/black is the 5v ecu trigger wire NOT the 12v to the fuel pump. you'd have me fryin another ecu!!! wtf blade?

the testing advice is sound though blade good call. thats what im gonna do, just with the correct wire colors. thanks!

Then I can only suggest next time you pull apart something you don't fully understand maybe take a picture yourself?

How is it backwards?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
that wiring diagram sucks too. the esize diagram on here is way better even though its not in color.

edit: sorry, i've spent the last week in 929 diagrams and this relay in particular. too much caffine!

The wiring diagrams are on this forum to help people that aren't smart enough to get their own manual for their bike - they're just useful for us to use when trying to explain something is all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then I can only suggest next time you pull apart something you don't fully understand maybe take a picture yourself?

How is it backwards?
you're right i should have taken a picture.

you helped me understand though, had a duh moment when you said just put 12v on it see which side is low voltage and controls the switch. don't get it twisted, i'm super thankful for your help!

however, look at the diagram again; brown/black is the ecu trigger wire and solid brown is 12v to the fuel pump.

edit: if i hooked it up backwards it would just shoot 12v straight into the 5v circuit of the ecu that controls the fuel pump and prob blow it out (again)!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
you're right i should have taken a picture.

you helped me understand though, had a duh moment when you said just put 12v on it see which side is low voltage and controls the switch. don't get it twisted, i'm super thankful for your help!

however, look at the diagram again; brown/black is the ecu trigger wire and solid brown is 12v to the fuel pump.

edit: if i hooked it up backwards it would just shoot 12v straight into the 5v circuit of the ecu that controls the fuel pump and prob blow it out (again)!

You'll sort it I'm sure :)
I'm absolutely lost with electrical magic but I've spent most of a week removing the entire OEM harness on my GSXR and building a race harness...and I just fired her up a few minutes ago - sweet success!

I generally avoid electrical questions simply because I'm as liable to give a bum steer as a good one, but when somebody isn't getting there I'll endeavour to point them in some general direction.

I'd give you the photo but my 929 has a 1000RR harness and the 929 harness is in a box somewhere.

Yes, I can see that switching the circuits could be bad for the ECU, that's why you test it off the bike first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
appreciate the help blade! i feel confident now that i have a definite way to test everything before plugging in this new ecu! sometimes you just need a little direction and reassurance. appreciate it bud. i just didn't want to make another $250 mistake.

:)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
appreciate the help blade! i feel confident now that i have a definite way to test everything before plugging in this new ecu! sometimes you just need a little direction and reassurance. appreciate it bud. i just didn't want to make another $250 mistake.

:)

Yep, more often than not that is all people need to sort out their problems :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts