Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
At my last job, all the contractors just plugged there computers in the back of the VOIP Phones to get Internet. We had our own network but I did plug my private Notebook into the phone to play online games at Lunch and when I was not busy. I was shocked how many companies did not protect their information.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd be surprised at how many still don't.
I was at one location that they were absolute freaks on protection. One guy wrote a Java program with a bug (legitimate work) and when he fired it up within a few minutes 2 network security guys and a guard showed up at a run. He said he almost messed himself. :rotfl:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was at one location that they were absolute freaks on protection. One guy wrote a Java program with a bug (legitimate work) and when he fired it up within a few minutes 2 network security guys and a guard showed up at a run. He said he almost messed himself. :rotfl:
:rotfl:
Thats great...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I have mine open for the neighbors, we all share the internet bill. There's 3 of us that use my wireless internet and here it's around 50$ a month total costs me around 16 now. I call it the "Friendly Neighbor Wireless Accounts". Our idea was to try and get the cost down to about 5 bucks a house hold, take that you Comcast BASTARDS! I HATE cable internet providers.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My DSL provider, speakeasy, has a deal where if you allow them to install a wireless access point on the side of your house they give you drastically cheaper service.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Well I have mine open for the neighbors, we all share the internet bill. There's 3 of us that use my wireless internet and here it's around 50$ a month total costs me around 16 now. I call it the "Friendly Neighbor Wireless Accounts". Our idea was to try and get the cost down to about 5 bucks a house hold, take that you Comcast BASTARDS! I HATE cable internet providers.
So why don't you cancel it instead and get DSL? :huh: You've gotta speak with your pocketbook...

·
Registered
12,773 Posts

its pretty easy to encrypt your wireless router. mine came with software which has some encryption. I know its not totally safe but its better than nothing and if you don't have a computer geek neighbor its not much of an issue having them steal it. when I set mine up I could "see" 2 other networks, couldn't connect to them because they were password protected.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
its pretty easy to encrypt your wireless router. mine came with software which has some encryption. I know its not totally safe but its better than nothing and if you don't have a computer geek neighbor its not much of an issue having them steal it. when I set mine up I could "see" 2 other networks, couldn't connect to them because they were password protected.
I dont think he wants to?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
whats also amazing is that some people do not change the default password to access the router :eek: especially those running a Linksys. Talk about really messing with something.:evilaugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts