Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone taking the advanced street rider course, or going just for the heck of it? I'll be taking the class, just wondering if anyone else is gonna be there

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's $175....empty your piggy banks I might have to do that but I'm taking that unless something drastic changes. I wanna get it out of the way asap so that I can get some track-days in this summer

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm really going to try for the May31st date, have you called Bob Stanley to see how many positions are left? I will email him today. If for some reason I don't make it, I will be doing their Wednesday open track sessions 4:30 to dusk. Just have to safety wire filter, oil drain plug and exhaust bracket. Went by their last night, there was only like (6) riders out there!!!

Conq, if you're reading this, I know what happened to your LP? pre-drilled drain plug. Would you do it again, and do you remember part number and place ordered from? Thanks

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I e-mailed him yesterday, but I haven't heard back yet. Don't have his phone number, do you? I'm gonna try and register the morning of the class, I don't wanna have to register without knowing the weather.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
DO NOT TRY AND REGISTER THAT MORNING! These classes fill up pretty quick. I'll see if I can find Bob's number, but he's pretty good about returning emails. I'm with you on the forecast, but I usually see how fast positions are filling up and fax in my reservation/payment before too late. I don't want to ride on a wet track, I'm not that good and don't trust my abilities/tires.

They have had almost all of their events sold out well within a week of track day, mostly earlier (Spring fever&#33. I will email as well.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the response I got from him regarding open spots:

Quote For this school we have several openings so the more the merrier!

Bob

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
fivestar929 : Pass some of the info my way.  Might be interested.
The Advanced Street Rider course is pretty cool.  No safety wiring required, pull headlight connector, tape headlight/signals.  They split the entire group into 2 groups, Group A and Group B.  They usually ask for those who have been to Fastrax before to go into Group A (more experienced) and for beginners or 'it's been awhile' riders go into Group B.

Group A starts with Group B in class for 30 minutes, air horn sounds and Group B prepares and heads out onto the track in sub-groups (each with their own instructor).

Each instructor leads their group in a single file line, begins with speed just enough to familarize student with track (not using any brakes&#33.  They emphasize NOT to have any student use their brakes for those lessons, just trust the instructor.  Then the closest student gets a signal to pull out of 2nd place and go back to the end and everyone moves up until all have followed instructor.  This was extremely helpful for beginners.  Then back to class (it's just a barn! )
Later, they keep bumping the pace until it is full tilt in the later afternoon.

Edit: grammar and I keep creating winking emoticons accidently

·
Registered
737 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Link

Take a look there, it's pretty much all you need to know
Thanks for the info. Love to go, but my only prob is that I'd have to take 2 days off work. As you can imagine, that's not easily (or cheaply) done.

I'll let ya know though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
SuperDave : Quote (fivestar929 @ May 15 2003, 10:04am)Pass some of the info my way.  Might be interested.
The Advanced Street Rider course is pretty cool.  No safety wiring required, pull headlight connector, tape headlight/signals.  They split the entire group into 2 groups, Group A and Group B.  They usually ask for those who have been to Fastrax before to go into Group A (more experienced) and for beginners or 'it's been awhile' riders go into Group B.

Group A starts with Group B in class for 30 minutes, air horn sounds and Group B prepares and heads out onto the track in sub-groups (each with their own instructor).

Each instructor leads their group in a single file line, begins with speed just enough to familarize student with track (not using any brakes&#33.  They emphasize NOT to have any student use their brakes for those lessons, just trust the instructor.  Then the closest student gets a signal to pull out of 2nd place and go back to the end and everyone moves up until all have followed instructor.  This was extremely helpful for beginners.  Then back to class (it's just a barn! )
Later, they keep bumping the pace until it is full tilt in the later afternoon.

Edit: grammar and I keep creating winking emoticons accidently  
I've heard good things about these guys. A couple of the sales guys at my dealer have taken this course. These are also the guys that made my custom map. Don't remember exactley who though.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : It's $175....empty your piggy banks  I might have to do that  but I'm taking that unless something drastic changes.  I wanna get it out of the way asap so that I can get some track-days in this summer
Right, but the pants, boots and gloves I need are a little more.

I think this year I'm going to collect gear and take the class either next spring or in the fall. We will see. I really want to take it, but I have spent so much $$ on toys the last 3 years I need to buckle down and throw some cash in a more responsible direction. We are going to be swimming in our house for a while and we are going to want furniture and stuff.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can always rent a suit at the track too for $50. As long as you have boots, gloves & a helmet.

But I definitely understand where you're coming from!

·
Registered
433 Posts
2 things...

The class is pretty good. I took their racing school in April. I was happy with the instruction I received and thought they had a really good student-to-instructor ratio. You guys should really enjoy it.

Running in the rain is a *good* thing. Most people aren't too keen to run a race track in the rain, however, I have done it. You would be amazed at how much grip you still have. A bunch of us just got back from Deals Gap. While we were down there we did a run of the Dragon while it was soaked. Everyone else in my group was tip toeing around because they had never tested the grip in the wet at a track. Also, people with good form and who are really smooth will still be able to go fast in the wet. If it rains on you guys then take it as a learning experience and use it to your advantage.

I hope to be back up there June 28th for the endurance races. I don't have a partner yet so I may just go solo for the seat time. If any of you show up then stop by and say hey. My race 929 is gunmetal grey with yellow number plates and a yellow tank. It will likely be the only race prepped 929 there.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dumb question, but do they require the racing license for the endurance races? I'd be willing to help ya out if they let it slide

·
Registered
433 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Dumb question, but do they require the racing license for the endurance races?  I'd be willing to help ya out if they let it slide
Yep, they require the license. They are also a little more strict than most other organizations. I got my CCS license just by faxing them my CLASS certificate (heck, I could have been the slowest guy in the B group at CLASS for all they know). In order to get the Fastrax license you either have to have a license from another organization or you have to take their race school. Not sure when their next one is.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh well, I'll probably come to just watch then. I can't afford to get my racing license before then, and I don't have a fully prepped racebike which they require for the class.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts