Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started a new post as requested. My 02 954 was running beautifully since original purchase 2 1/2 years ago. Needed a battery once. Needed tires. Etc. Normal stuff. One day I go to the store 1 min from my house last Oct 2019 and since that day my fuel pump will not prime. I bought a new pump "OEM" from hondaparts.whatever.. and after that $380 still nothing. Checked fuses. All look good. Checked relay. Clicks like supposed to. Took apart kill switch. Everything looks sound. Finally found BAS. Looks good. Everything is hooked up. Nothing lose. Tried to bypass diode. Ran nine volt to pink. Still no prime. It all works like it should. Lights. Display. Turns over. Just no prime. At this point I have no clue wtf.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Hi Nemo, have you tried running the 9v straight into the ECU by Just unpinning the Pink wire that goes into the ECU and putting the Positive wire in its place and the Negative wire to a good earth

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I havent tried that. I can. I'm actually wondering now is there a way to just bypass my whole ignition. I have keys and all. But maybe put it on a switch. And possibly straight wire my pump? Just got off the phone with the local shop here. He says he has had 3 954 with this issue and all three he had to change the entire wire harness out. And then says the problem is they no longer make harnesses for 954s. Then quoted around $500+. YEAH. I dont like how he jumped straight to let's just get you a whole new harness. Sounded like he just wants to not actually find the problem and just jump to what will get him paid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother has much more experience than I do. I am about to load her up and take her over to his house. And find out when he can help me comb over every step.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
There can be a few problems with the harness but nothing that can't be sorted, the central earthing point is one, but try the battery thing first, ignore the garage ;)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,972 Posts
With all of the diagnoses and things that you have tried, it is possible that the ECU has failed. The will typically kill the fuel pump priming, and then there is a trickle down of effects from there, like if the ECU doesn't sense the pump prime then it kills spark. If spark isn't present (ie-ECU sensing 9v on the pink) then it kills the injectors etc (not necessarily in that order) but you get the idea. If there is any way for you to try another 954 ECU I would did it. There is a lot of things that need to happen in a specific order for those old girls to run, and sometimes you can chase everything and still have it lead to the ECU.

All that being said, I believe all the 9v does is give the OK for the ECU to send spark. The fuel pump not priming tells the ECU to shut everything down i believe.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The pump should run when the ignition is turned on - does it do this at all? If not then there is an issue with the power feed to the pump. You say the relay clicks but have you tried swapping it out as the contacts could be bad. You can test if there is 12v being fed to the relay on the bl/w (black with white trace) coloured wires - this also feeds power to the injectors and many other circuits that come on with the ignition switch. The Br/Bl is the trigger from the ECU to turn the pump on and this is earthed by the ecu rather then being powered in the same way as the ECU earths each injector and earths each spark plug coil to trigger them. If you jump 12v to the Brown wire this will be direct power to the pump and it should run continuously.

If all this checks out then its possible the ECU is not triggering the br/bl to earth. This is done only when the ECU gets a signal from the crank pulse generator on the RH side of the motor, so that the pump only runs when the motor is turning. There is a red connector by the rh frame rail from the crank sensor and you can unplug this and check with a multimeter if a pulse is generated when you crank the engine.

i hope this is of some help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
To be clear, you purchased the entire pump assembly? Not just a new pump right? The reason I ask this is because last year mine did the same thing and all the tests indicated it was the pump. I replaced just the pump and new filter and it fired once and then back to no more prime. It ended up being a bad wire connection on the inside of where the wires go through the pump housing if that makes sense. Have you checked the old pump by connecting it to a 12v source to see if it runs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just bought and tried the new ignition today. As alot of folks told me the diode in the bottom of the ignition going out would cause the fuel pump to not prime. Due to Covid19 it took forever to get the ignition. But alas. All was for nothing as the new ignition and new pump have not fixed the issue. Ok. To be clear. The bike had run fine. Perfectly for about a year that I owned it. I got on it. Rode it about literally 2 mins max to the store 1 mile away and when I walked back outside to leave I put the key in and no fuel pump prime. Had been running solid. Just put new li batt and new road 5s on front and back and just serviced fluids. I think I've got to start back from square one. Fml.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello Nemo,
I am not an expert on the FireBlade but I will make a suggestion. The next purchase I would make would be a Honda Service Manual. The manual will provide a troubleshooting matrix with the necessary test points and sequence to help you get to the bottom of your issue. It will be a much better investment than just swapping out random parts based on what other people are suggesting. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I cant seem to find any problems. I swapped out the fuel pump just to know. Not the problem. Then everything pointed to the diode. So I swapped it out. Still nothing. Now back at square one. Again.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Hi Nemo, any chance you could borrow an ECU just to try it on yours, that way we will know if its something on your bike, Have you taken off the Relays to test them with a Multimeter (Engine Stop Relay and the Fuel Cutoff Relay)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe this will provide some encouragement that you’re not alone. I’m having all the same issues on my 02’ 954rr currently. I’ve read as much as I can and done as much as I can the same as you. In the back of my head I’m thinking ECU but am not wanting to pull that trigger yet in hopes I’ll find the magic problem somewhere. Truly feel your frustration. If I find anything I will let you know. I hope you’ll do the same. If anyone has a spare ECU sitting around I might consider it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe this will provide some encouragement that you’re not alone. I’m having all the same issues on my 02’ 954rr currently. I’ve read as much as I can and done as much as I can the same as you. In the back of my head I’m thinking ECU but am not wanting to pull that trigger yet in hopes I’ll find the magic problem somewhere. Truly feel your frustration. If I find anything I will let you know. I hope you’ll do the same. If anyone has a spare ECU sitting around I might consider it.
I had the same problems but I just ran a 12v + to the fuel pump so it’s on when the keys on and it works for me

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
^^ Good way to test it. The OP hasn’t said if they have tried bypassing the relay or putting a direct feed to the pump

1 - 20 of 21 Posts