Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

Yesterday we rode VIR south.  First two sessions were wet, which was fine as it kept the speed down, but also kept the newbs tip toeing around every bend...

By the second session, a nice dry line was forming...  After our second session, they called an early lunch and by the time the afternoon sessions started, the track was probably 98% dry...

Thats when the fun but disappointment in some fellow riders began.  There was a dude out there on a damn busa...  Both of the first two sessions, he had ran past turn one and almost onto the north course...  Why he wasn't asked to leave then, I do not know.  They would only let us pass on VIR South's long front straight (a mistake)...  So of course, I am following a guy on a hayabusa, thats parking it in every corner and blowing me away on the straights...  (5-10 bike lengths)   I can blow by him on the brakes, but his riding was erratic and I didn't want to chance it.  So I follow him for the lap after the warmup lap and just see if maybe he'll pick it up some...  So we go around and he's doing the same thing, a good pace but still not such that I can get in my pace and be comfortable, I almost rearend him on several occasions.  So we go into the oak tree turn and of course he parks it there, so I lay back and get a really good drive out of there and I am beside him and about 8' in front of him when he 'clutches' up the biggest wheelie I have ever seen.  So of course, I get out of it because if this guy is gonna crash it, I don't wanna be near it...  So he carries the wheelie a while in a very squidly fashion and I continue my drive up the long front straight...  We go around a lap again and this time coming out of 10 going into 11, he clutches another wheelie going down the hill this time.  Again, about 4-5 feet in front of me...  VERY DISTRACTING!  So I decide I've had enough of this $hit, if I wanted to ride with squids, I could ride on any road in NC...  I pit in, angrily ask the grid marshall to come over and I inform him of the actions I have seen for the previous 2-3 laps...  He tells me they'd keep an eye on it...  I think they did and I don't believe that he rode anymore that day.

Second mishap was an accusation that either was a case of mistaken identity or a complete LIE.  After a session, I see this guy and a control rider coming over to my location.  They start with the normal 'are you the guy riding the RC51?' type questions, and I say yes...  The guy then proceeds to tell me that I ran up the inside of him in turn one and ran him off the track.  OKay, I say, 'Uhhh, that wasn't me, I don't go up the inside of people'.  And that is a truthful statement because I have never ran up the inside of ANYONE, even when running in an advanced style group I have never done that...  Being this was a B group ride, I certainly didn't, not even around the outside!  He counters with the 'yes you did', I say 'no I didn't'.  He is so convinced of this that the control rider even has the nerve to say, 'he said you did'...  And the CR didn't even see it, but he will blindly believe what some 'dude' will tell him.  BUT I digress...  So seeing how the little $hit is gonna stand there and say that I did even though I didn't, I am wondering what his point is...  I start to direct him to this fence post nearby so he can say 'yes you did' a few more times.  So finally I say, 'dude, I know I didn't, but if you say I did, I apologize...'  I extend my hand and say I am sorry...  Then he gives me this $hit about being here for 2 days and he'd be pretty pissed off if he couldn't pass tech to ride again tomorrow (monday on the north course)...  Sounds like a personal problem to me...

The only thing I can figure is that he saw me out there being a bit faster than everyone else and when a CR came over to him after he got back to his pit on the crash truck 'what happened'...  Rather than say I overcooked it into turn 1 and ran off, I'm an idiot who can't control his own bike, he makes something up like someone runs me off the track by coming up the inside of me...  WHATEVER...  I guess I was the scape goat as I may have been the last person he saw before he ran off the track...  *Shrug*, though I will admit, for the rest of the day, I did have my eye on him and what he was doing...  All I can say is this guy has a lot to learn...  Definitly a sad day and it scarred an otherwise good riding day.  I guess one or two people really can mess things up for people.  The only good thing about the whole fiasco was when T1 walked over, I point him out and T1 goes 'he's a punk man, in the B group riders' meeting he pretended to know it all and was acting all cool and stuff'...  Yep, about what I expected, just glad I wasn't the only one that thought he was a D ick.

The only thing that bothers me is that if this guy knew ANYTHING about me, he'd realize just how out of line his accusations were on me...  I DESPERATELY need to get out of the B group there at NESBA.  Its way too slow and the passing restrictions are too much, especially on a course like VIR south...

In knowing this, the next session, I followed a CR around the track for an entire session and everytime he turned around, I was 5 feet off his a$$.  When we pit in after the session, he tells me that that was waaayy fun and we needed to do it again next session!  He told me my body position was good, my throttle control was good and everytime he checked, I was right on him.  I started then to ask him if he could bump me (as we were passing just about everyone in that session).  But I decided that I'd wait till next session and follow him again and then after that session, ask for the bump...  Sad thing though, the next session, it started raining again, so I never got a chance to stick to his butt again.  

Charlie

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Hey Charlie! Sorry to hear your weekend wasn't better. Yeah, it's really true that a few idiots can ruin stuff for the rest of the group. You can't bump yourself at NESBA by signing up with a different group at the next trackday? This year at Reduc I decided I'm riding Intermediate and just signed up. If I wanted to bump groups on a trackday I'd have to have someone watch, but I can sign up for a different group for upcoming days.

Our weekend at Pocono was completely fogged out. It didn't rain enough for the rain insurance to kick in, but it was too foggy to go out, except for a few sessions on Sunday afternoon. It was wet and foggy and I was tiptoeing around. Then I gave up and came in. Couldn't practice any of the stuff I learned at Jennings. Our next days are Sat and Sun at the end of June at BeaveRun. Hopefully the weather will be better.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I emailed one of the Nesba guys and laid out my experiences and my background... When I first signed up with NESBA, it would let me choose B or I... I stupidly chose B, just to be safe, now it won't let me go back and choose I... So I sent the email... sigh...

Sorry to hear about your weekend. The jennings wet laps helped me this weekend. Our first two sessions were pretty much wet the entire time, so I had some experience in it, which was very helpful... Sometimes its best to just leave it or put it on the trailer it would seem, glad your wet weekend was uneventful...

Oh, and the picture attached above is traumaone, an unknown and myself... Courtesy of my dad, who was in attendance...

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
cc, thanks for the pic! That is awesome. I don't have any pictures of myself from this weekend. We need nhfirefighter13 to come ride and do the photography for us!

As we discussed at VIR, the kid was a punk and the moment I met him I wanted to push his face in, so don't sweat it. I don't have to comment about th Busa guy do I? I can't think of enough bad things to say about that piece of

My thoughts on the NESBA event are that it was not nearly as much fun as Jennings for me. The track was too crowded. I never got a chance to really think about my line and never got comfortable with the track. The damn straight is so fast... Spooky. I don't know if it was being in the B group that hurt me the most, I kept running up on people and getting stuck then having to absolutley kill it to get past on the straight. Many were fine to get by on straight like the 600's but the FZ-1, R1, and that RC51 guy in the jeans killed me! I got past all but they made it as painful as possible. Parking in the corners then redlining to get up the straight as fast as possible.

cc, you were behind me for several laps (before you passed me, bastard ) what did you think of my riding? Was I as bad as I felt or what? I think I might be better off in the I group as well. I certainly won't be the fastest but it would be nice to not be continually caught behind folks, I would not have a problem pulling to the inside on the straight and letting folks past. Plus they can pass on corners. *sigh* I dunno, I will have to think about what to do. I can't wait for the next .org event...

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
As an amusing story about that kid on the RC51... I assume he was an intro rider as he was just wearing jeans. Anyway, I caught up to him on the brakes coming into 1 and decided to play it cool seeing his jeans and hang out behind him for the lap and be patient. He was sooo sloooow... I think he put his kickstand down in the middle of the fishhook to check his tires or something

Anyway, he keeps looking back at me and I am right on his ass. I figure by the time we get to the front, he will pull to the inside and let me and a bunch of others past... nooooo. He freaking guns it. I love my 954... anyway, I get past him as we start going up the hill and beat him into one... I was actually worried he might pull a 'busa and run thru one as he was trying to keep up.

Later I was talking to Doc and it turns out he and his friends Jamie and Kent were watching this unfold. They saw the run up the straight and said 'can he get it?' They saw me get past at the top of the hill then watched as I came around the Oak tree again and they said 'where is the other guy?' He was waaaaay back apparently

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
The intro group, yes. ie he was one of the two intro riders... They let them skip the first session because the track was wet...

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
That's still nuts, IMHO anyway. Do they make all people new to NESBA ride in the beginner group the first time out with the organization? There's no way either of you belong in a beginner group!

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
TraumaOne : Some video from VIR:
VIR South
I just tried to view this video and had problems. About 1/4 or so into it, the video froze, and so did my computer. Couldn't shut the comp off at the on/off switch, had to unplug it. Any of you computer geeks out there have an explanation? Could the vid have caused this, or is my computer hiccuping?

Sorry to 'jack the thread momentarily

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Bacchus, try the right click save target as trick... maybe that will help the freezing.  I checked the file and it looks like my ftp stopped partway... currently re-uploading.

Edit: Link should be working now

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
HondaGalToo : That's still nuts, IMHO anyway.  Do they make all people new to NESBA ride in the beginner group the first time out with the organization?  There's no way either of you belong in a beginner group!
Weeeell, when signing up it says to put yourself in beginner if you have done less than like 6 or 7 track days... I am thinking that was a mistake

·
Registered
183 Posts
CC...really sorry to hear about ur experience...specially after the great time we all had at Jennings. U are too nice of a person to have apologised to that piece of . Seems to me Jennings is the Disney Land of tracks. I am in the NESBA B group too. Wonder whats in wait for me when I go to the tracks.
Anyway, have alook at the Jennings Pics/Vids. It will definitely cheer u up.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
TraumaOne : Bacchus, try the right click save target as trick... maybe that will help the freezing.  I checked the file and it looks like my ftp stopped partway... currently re-uploading.

Edit:  Link should be working now
Works now! Thanks T1 . Nice vid, BTW!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HondaGalToo : There's no way either of you belong in a beginner group!
Thanks HGToo, thats about what I was thinking and I pleaded my case in an email to a nesba guy... Hopefully it will work, being in that B group was both painful and dangerous I thought... Lots of newbs and their lines were highly erratic...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its all in the eyes... Front straight, ~120 or so at this point...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guy in yellow turned around is the guy that said I 'supposedly' 'went up the inside of him and MADE him run off the track'...

Me in the center, quikmike two behind me...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts