Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Never too Old

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  asiliat 
#1 ·
Back in January I bought myself a CBR500R as a general runabout to save mileage on my good bikes.

Because of lock down I haven't had much time on it. Anyway, took it out yesterday for 40 miles, returned home and hopped straight on to my 929 and did the same journey. Instant proof to me that my comments about the 929 as a comfortable bike were correct.

The 500, as you can see, has a more upright position, which is probably what many in their 60s migrate to after decades of sports bikes. I (at nearly 68) am totally opposite and knew straight away when I hopped on the 929 that clipons and rearsets are still for me. It really is chalk and cheese. Sure, we can probably throw a wide bar bike around a lot easier, but for overall comfort and control, I am just so at home on my sports bikes. They are just so satisfying and rewarding.

So, yesterday afternoon, I thought 'enough of this crap' and listed the 500 on eBay. Now on the lookout for another 929 or Firestorm as my runabout. I guess it's strange the directions we take pursuing our passions. It's certainly a 'horses for courses' thing, and I guess I am fortunate to have followed a lifestyle of health and fitness which rewards me with the ability to painlessly adopt the 'sports bike crouch'.

I guess my overall message in this is: 'Don't give in to "old man" status until/unless you really have to.'

See less See more
#6 ·
Back in January I bought myself a CBR500R as a general runabout to save mileage on my good bikes.

View attachment 107630

. . . So, yesterday afternoon, I thought 'enough of this crap' and listed the 500 on eBay. . .
Remember this post?

Bike sold this morning. Gets collected on Tuesday. Now I look at it I'm having second thoughts.:rolleyes:

#13 ·
Yes,George, fully agree with you on mileage, and I am guilty of similarly being 'hung up'. As I've mentioned before (but maybe not on this forum) if we were to look at a 20-plus-year-old car with 'only' 30 - 40,000 miles, we'd snap it up!!

looks like he's getting rid of his Stable? :unsure:
Agree also, Bill. I ALWAYS look at other items for sale and feedback. This guy seems to be a 'project worker' part-time. In my communications with him today, he advises '. . . with Covid killing the business, I'm making some tough decisions.' This, of course, is what a few of us discussed in another thread, and that is that there will be some bargains available. That's not to say that £3995 is a bargain; it's far from it.

Anyway, an hour ago I made an offer of £3200 by immediate bank transfer. No reply yet. I'm guessing he's either fallen on the floor or simply dismissed me as an idiot!! :D

#16 ·
Yep, shame about the silencer. But one day I'll be lucky and find one or two.

Two? Yes!!:eek::D:D:D

I got it for 3300. Very pleased, but a bit sad that it's a Covid-related sale. Will collect it on Wednesday after hiring a van. 90-mile each way which isn't bad considering I drove to Glasgow for a bike.

Will start on eBay for a clear screen and other stuff like handgrips etc. Very happy about this.

The 'limited market' is now to my advantage(y). It's now 2 less in circulation and that INCREASES the rarity and VALUE!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.