Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i traded my 04 gsxr 750 for an 00 929 last night. its mint condition and only 11k miles on it. but when i try to shift from 1st to 2nd unless im about 6k rpms or above it grinds and or just goes to neutral. even if i shift fast.. all my gsxrs were like this but not quite as bad. if i shift at high rpm its smooth as butter but it doesnt like low rpm shifts to 2nd. clutch is adjusted right and fresh amsoil. Is this how all the 929s are or is something poss wrong with this one?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i traded my 04 gsxr 750 for an 00 929 last night. its mint condition and only 11k miles on it. but when i try to shift from 1st to 2nd unless im about 6k rpms or above it grinds and or just goes to neutral. even if i shift fast.. all my gsxrs were like this but not quite as bad. if i shift at high rpm its smooth as butter but it doesnt like low rpm shifts to 2nd. clutch is adjusted right and fresh amsoil. Is this how all the 929s are or is something poss wrong with this one?

Your GSXR's had the same problem?
I would guess it's something to do with your technique then.
Have you tried adjusting the shift lever down so get a more positive shift?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok ill check that today. and do you mean just adjust the shifter itself to a lower position? if so ill try that, i know the engine speed/rpm has to be close to get a smooth shift but none of my bikes were as picky about shifting at lower rpm as this 929

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Upward pressure on the lever, and just quickly chop the throttle and she'll lift into the next gear :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yes, but you cant just change up a gear too easily at low revs on the gas with out the clutch:confused:

Of course you can. You can go up and down the box clutchless at any RPM.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
What he said! That's what a quickshifter does, at least for upshifts.

You don't need a quickshifter.
The quickshifter allows "flat" shifts so you don't have to back off the throttle on upshifts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i kinda like this bike so im gonna try to snug the chain a bit more. its around 2-2.5" freeplay right now and adjust the lever downward a hair more. i hope thats all it is and not another problems. i think im just losing too much rpm between 1-2 shift especially if i shift low like 4-5krpm.

·
Registered
927 Posts
well i kinda like this bike so im gonna try to snug the chain a bit more. its around 2-2.5" freeplay right now and adjust the lever downward a hair more. i hope thats all it is and not another problems. i think im just losing too much rpm between 1-2 shift especially if i shift low like 4-5krpm.
That's alot of free play.. I know all bikes have their differences but mine's a whole inch short of that.

About clutchless shifting, I can bump up and down the gear box all day without my left hand.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You don't need a quickshifter.
The quickshifter allows "flat" shifts so you don't have to back off the throttle on upshifts.
Wasn't saying that he needed one. They are pretty cool tech, though completely unnecessary unless you are racing.
Though, I bet he wouldn't lose rpm when he shifted... :smilebig:

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Though, I bet he wouldn't lose rpm when he shifted... :smilebig:
I hate losing RPM - so damned expensive to replace. Also embarrassing when you have to go into the dealership and ask for more to be installed in the bike. :O

1 - 20 of 33 Posts