Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the world of FireBlades here, having just purchased the 929. I am 23 and have came from an SV650K3.
I know very little about these bikes, except having ridden it I can only say how brilliant and impressed I am with it is so far.
The bike has done near enough 21,000 miles and looks to be very original minus the Quill end can and screen.

Anyone able to tell me a little more about them, anything I should investigate or check out? I have done 400 miles in the last week and this bikes been faultless.

My main concern is the fact I only got 1 key with the bike and being HISS I gather this could be an issue when getting a second key cut? Can I get a blank from Honda, get it cut and then have it programmed? Is it something I can do myself and if so does anyone know the procedure?

Second question, I have read that these bikes should have a 190 section back tyre, currently it has a 180 on the rear, am I right in thinking this is incorrect?

Thirdly, what oil are you 929 owners using? It currently has semi synthetic in it going by the receipts, should I be putting fully synthetic in on the next oil change?

Anyway, here's a picture of the bike shortly before it got filthy dirty on my way home from work.

Cheers,

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Got one myself and had the 954 too both very good bikes, I have the 190 tyres on as well, as for the keys you can get a blank plus the chip from Aliexpress ,I did and cost me the princely sum of £7.50 inc post , there are videos on You tube telling you how to programme the keys, but I just got mine cloned from the only key I had by an Automotive mobile Locksmith, £20 so £27.50 all in , I use semi 10-40

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got one myself and had the 954 too both very good bikes, I have the 190 tyres on as well, as for the keys you can get a blank plus the chip from Aliexpress ,I did and cost me the princely sum of £7.50 inc post , there are videos on You tube telling you how to programme the keys, but I just got mine cloned from the only key I had by an Automotive mobile Locksmith, £20 so £27.50 all in , I use semi 10-40

Thanks for the reply,
I will get a key blank on order and see if I can get someone to programme it.

Have you had any issues with your 929? Any worthwhile mods?

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Non really, had a few when I got it last year , but nothing exotic, easy to fix these bikes , although like all Honda's the wiring can be suspect on older bikes, and if they are Modded I return them to stock , I'm a miserable old bugger ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
As above these bikes are pretty bulletproof, my 929 did 95K in 3 years and only suffered warped brake discs due to the amount of winter use it had, even that’s avoidable if you can be bothered to keep clean the piston dust seals and the discs. Never had a shim check from new, never saw a dealers workshop after the 1st service, just constant quality oil and OEM filters every 4K, which was around every 6-7 weeks for me.

I would only use quality semi syn 10/40 as stated above.

Lots of owners put a 180 on, just makes the bike drop in and turn a bit quicker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As above these bikes are pretty bulletproof, my 929 did 95K in 3 years and only suffered warped brake discs due to the amount of winter use it had, even that’s avoidable if you can be bothered to keep clean the piston dust seals and the discs. Never had a shim check from new, never saw a dealers workshop after the 1st service, just constant quality oil and OEM filters every 4K, which was around every 6-7 weeks for me.

I would only use quality semi syn 10/40 as stated above.

Lots of owners put a 180 on, just makes the bike drop in and turn a bit quicker.

Wow you done some miles on it then - thats good to hear. Fingers crossed mine will be as reliable as yours.
Really enjoying the bike so far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As for mods, I'd definitely say a steering damper, I use a Scotts, it made the bike way more stable and confident at high speeds. I'd also recommend a Power Commander, it also helps on the low speed, partial throttle twitchiness.

I also remember buying a factory key blank from Honda for mine, and I cut it myself with the key machine at the car dealership I was working for...I don't remember ever needing to program it, and I had a spare all-metal junk key for it as well, so no chip in it. Maybe the programming thing is only in the EU models, I know they have stricter anti-theft requirements for motor vehicles over there.

Otherwise, enjoy the hell out of it, still one of the best bikes made in the last 20 years!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for mods, I'd definitely say a steering damper, I use a Scotts, it made the bike way more stable and confident at high speeds. I'd also recommend a Power Commander, it also helps on the low speed, partial throttle twitchiness.

I also remember buying a factory key blank from Honda for mine, and I cut it myself with the key machine at the car dealership I was working for...I don't remember ever needing to program it, and I had a spare all-metal junk key for it as well, so no chip in it. Maybe the programming thing is only in the EU models, I know they have stricter anti-theft requirements for motor vehicles over there.

Otherwise, enjoy the hell out of it, still one of the best bikes made in the last 20 years!
Yeah our EU bikes have hiss so it makes life a bit more awkward when getting a spare.
I'm really surprised there is no steering damper, for sure something I'll consider. Have had the bars twitch a bit when accelerating hard on crappy UK roads, I wonder if a damper would reduce this?

I hear a lot of reviews talking about poor fueling at low rpms on these, however I find it extremely smooth compared to my old v twin sv650, but may be that's no surprise haha.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
In the USA you don't need to program the key as you don't have the HISS system over there. Get another key cut and programmed as a priority - you loose the one you have any you'll need a new ECU with at least one key! You have to have one that matched the ECU? in order to program another one, or you can get the one you have cloned.

I use 10w40 good quality oil and change it at 4,000 rather than 8,00 in the book. Always change the filter with the oil. Always used used Honda filters in the past but gone to highflofiltro after reading good right ups on this brand. M&P do a service kit for <£50.

Personally I would not bother with a steering damper - never needed one on any of the Blades that I have owned and they do get some abuse!

Other things to watch for? Electrical gremlins often caused by corrosion in connectors or junction blocks in the loom. The generator (stator) and rectifier/regulator (RR) can fail, often quotes as a weak spot on Honda's but really after over 20-years, which your bike is now, and its still working ok then its hardly a weak spot!

Enjoy and stay safe!

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my 2000 929 I went through 3 stators all aftermarket from RM Stator . Then found there are a few stators that will work in the 929rr, the one thats currently in it is from a 1983 Ascot 500 so far so good for many years now, also swaped out the stock rectifier (shunt type) which runs very hot. So ended up using a rectifier from a 2005 ZX10r (mosfet type) run more efficient and cooler. Also swapped out the rad temp sensor that lets the fan come on earlier to keep motor cooler as these run real hot in city riding. In the end enjoy the bike and learn on the way. BTW these bikes if maintained will last a long time..bought mine with 46,xxxkm now has 113,000km and still see's redline often.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
On my 2000 929 I went through 3 stators all aftermarket from RM Stator . Then found there are a few stators that will work in the 929rr, the one thats currently in it is from a 1983 Ascot 500 so far so good for many years now, also swaped out the stock rectifier (shunt type) which runs very hot. So ended up using a rectifier from a 2005 ZX10r (mosfet type) run more efficient and cooler. Also swapped out the rad temp sensor that lets the fan come on earlier to keep motor cooler as these run real hot in city riding. In the end enjoy the bike and learn on the way. BTW these bikes if maintained will last a long time..bought mine with 46,xxxkm now has 113,000km and still see's redline often.
Yes the stator is a weak point on the 929. If you can't locate the alternative mentioned by GP RZ then it is possible to rewind the stator althou it is a PIA. I did my 929 stator 10 years ago and it's still running nice and cool. Lots of advice on how to do it on this website . Try searching for 'toasted stator.
Steering dampers are good insurance, particularly if you've lowered the front end to quicken up the steering. I got into a tankslapper after an almost-highside at Assen, I was merely a passenger for a very long second as the steering damper got everything under control again, allowing me to get back in the saddle (I had been hanging over the fairing looking at the headlight) and wobble back to the pits. Best insurance I ever bought. Mine is a WP but I had to change the aluminium lever arm which mounts on the feedstock bolt, for a stainless steel one and a ss nut, the one supplied does not engage with enough threads and you can't torque it to the right figure. I have an engineering drawing of the arm and custom nut if you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys, almost 1000 miles put on the blade now. So far its been great. Today I was giving it a good clean up and noticed this wiring repair. Anyone know what these wires do? It was plugged in BTW I was just cleaning it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts