Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a non current new 2008 black and yellow CBR1000RR from my local dealer. I am thrilled to death with the looks and can't wait to ride it. But I am having a problem with one of the yellow side panels. I gave the bike a quick look over at the shop then loaded it onto the trailer and took it home. When I got home I was walking around the bike on the trailer in the sun and noticed a crack in the right fairing. I took a bunch of pictures and then when the dealer opened I took it back. After the salesman looked it over he discovered that it was cracked all the way through in a couple of directions. Now they are stating that warranty won't cover it, and they are stating that they didn't see it during their inspection. I didn't see it either but I didn't get down on my hands and knees with a flashlight. They picked the bike up from an other dealer and today they are going to call them an ask if they noticed anything. I know for sure that I did nothing to cause this, I have only sat on it twice. Now I am positive that this other dealer even if he did notice this won't say he did. This is the first and probably the last new bike I am ever going to purchase, and I just can't get over this crack. I already have a 929 with a few cracks and faded paint for canyoncarving and a ripping around our tiny track so I was just going to use the new one for car shows, organized rides, that sort of thing. I was just going to bite the bullet and buy a new panel until I found out how much they cost. I don't want to pursue legal action because I am going to have to deal with these people in the future, but I am having a hard time listing to all the ways a fairing could have been broke when all I did was load it on to a trailer and take it a couple of miles. I was prepared to just ride it as is until they pointed out that the fairing is cracked all the way to the edge and that type of crack just spreads like a virus. I don't think that there is going to be any solution that is going to make me and the dealer happy. I should be shopping for a undertail and exhaust not fairings, especially since I haven't even ridden it yet. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there any contact info for Honda besides the dealer? Of coarse the checks were cashed the day I wrote them, also I don't really want to return this bike. I know there probably isn't any easy answer but any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your predicament I know how much panels cost I think something like that one is around £400?= 610USD when something likes this happens not spotting the damage till after you get it home you feel like dropping on your knees screaming. I hope for your sake that the dealer is honest enough to take liability and replace the panel through his insurance. Once anything has left the shop its all down to proof especially when we all sign that paper work to say we have inspected and we are satisfied with the product in this country anyway!! I assume it had a previous owner? You could ask if he/she knows anything about it. Otherwise it depends on your insurance excess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry to hear about your predicament I know how much panels cost I think something like that one is around £400?= 610USD when something likes this happens not spotting the damage till after you get it home you feel like dropping on your knees screaming. I hope for your sake that the dealer is honest enough to take liability and replace the panel through his insurance. Once anything has left the shop its all down to proof especially when we all sign that paper work to say we have inspected and we are satisfied with the product in this country anyway!! I assume it had a previous owner? You could ask if he/she knows anything about it. Otherwise it depends on your insurance excess.
Honda of North Hollywood CA has them for around 370...

But I would complain and push it up the ladder... eventually someone will want to deal... you can't be an ass about it though... make the people like you, but, make sure they know you won't be going away without something... take estimates for the new fairing with you... at the very least they should be able to share some of this cost with you...

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, lesson learned: Order new bike, take a good flashlight and gently press on the fairings. I took the bike back and left it there until the dealership owner could look at it. I went back and got the "we inspected it" speech. I retraced my steps a hundred times and I know I physically didn't even touch that panel until I found the crack and photographed it which was about 25 minutes. The bike was in the dealership for a couple of days after the inspection and I can think of many ways it could have been cracked but I don't care, all I know is I didn't do it. So when I went back in and practiced some anger management and we discussed a solution. I refused to back down and they gave lots of examples of how I could have broke it with out knowing, leaning on the bike, leaving the bike unattended on the trailer, ect, none of which happened. After about a half an hour we agreed on splitting the cost on one. I wasn't jumping for joy because I kind of felt like I was admitting to something I know I didn't do. But in all reality I could sell the cracked plastic for what the replacement is going to cost so I feel it is resolved. I can't forget what this dealership went through to get this bike. I wanted yellow and black or nothing at all, my gear is yellow and black and I already have the yellow and black 929. I went into there store on a Wednesday and no one was in the store area at all. So I waited for about twenty minutes and left. Thursday I called a dealer in Denver and they had a black and yellow one so I told them to start the paperwork. Friday I called Denver and they wanted a deposit and I was just about to go through with it but went to the local dealer first. This time I was able to talk to someone and they wanted to try to match the Denver offer. I told them that time was an issue. At this point I had the Denver dealer calling my cell every fifteen minutes wanting a deposit. Then I went back to the local dealer and he said he found one about nine hundred miles away for the same price. I told them to go for it and called Denver to inform them I found one and they just hung up on me. Saturday the local salesman drove over, in a storm none the less, and picked it up. I know they didn't make a fortune on this bike and went beyond the call of duty to obtain it. Sorry about the book but overall I think I did get a good deal on very short notice and didn't want to make this thread to bash on my local dealer. Now I can focus on tearing it down and upgrading.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
But in all reality I could sell the cracked plastic for what the replacement is going to cost so I feel it is resolved.
Sounds like a good result.
But if they're replacing it, wouldn't the damaged panel belong to them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.